well i have made my decision ????? im going to build a mitchell wing!!!!

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by savagebrother, May 9, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 9, 2019 #1

savagebrother

savagebrother

savagebrother

it will do everything i need and with its folding wings and trailer ability it opens new venues of flying from different areas. also it can lift my big carcass (242lbs) with ease and soaring makes it even more appealing.
    after many hours in an eipper mx hedge hopping and more hours in my weedhoppers. my last u/l was a fresh breeze powered paraglider and because of my weight i needed a big wing so even with the motor it had some decent soaring to it and that's where i found ridge soaring was fun. so.....a mitchell wing i shall build.
    SB

2. May 9, 2019 #2

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

U-2 or B-10?
    I presume B-10 since the U-2 is tight for an FAA standard pilot.

3. May 9, 2019 #3

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I believe that there had likely been some upgrades or modifications or "later improvements" to the Mitchell Wing, and you might consider if any of these could or should be added to your build. Some of the U-2's design details were probably developed based on the previous field experience with the B-10.

I don't know what these improvements or upgrades are, but there are still people around who have direct experience with the Mitchell. Definitely find those people and learn what they know. I did meet Don Mitchell, and he was not a large heavy pilot, and I don't know what the B-10 design had for a max pilot weight. So if you are 40 or 50 pounds heavier than the design pilot weight, you might want to think about adding the Graphlite carbon strips or rods to the spar caps as an extra insurance policy.

Also, you have some much much better engine choices now than when the B-10 was designed. You can save a significant amount of weight over what the engines weighed then, or enjoy a significant increase in power over what you had available then.

Having more power available is really nice, but it can also easily create larger loads on the structure. So please do a little bit of engineering (or have someone do it), and figure out just how much of a benefit you will get from adding five pounds of (Graphlite carbon strips + resin + glass cloth) to the appropriate structural components of the Mitchell. It may be a very good return on investment.

4. May 9, 2019 #4

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

To the OP:
    Norman - a member here on HBA has been working on a rebuild of a U-2 and has a very good grasp of flying wing theory. Life seems to have been giving him some challenges recently so don't expect any quick responses.

There is also a pretty good data base of knowledge on the Yahoo U-2 site. I'll be moving those files to a new site soon so they should be easier to search. I have a bunch of both the U-2 and B-10 in CAD but those projects are now on semi permanent hold due to a new, to me, flying wing project that recently became project #1 - if the deal goes through as expected in the next few days.

If you don't need a part 103 flying wing then you may be interested in my new project..............

5. May 9, 2019 #5

Norman

Norman

Norman

I'm 6'3" and 220 lb. I'm helping a friend who is much smaller than me build a U-2. It's tighter than a BD-5. I couldn't even get in the thing much less operate the controls because my shoulders and elbows would be pinched between frame members. The situation might be better in the B-10 but I haven't seen one of them up close. If you modified the center section to make the cockpit wider there's also a weight and balance problem that can be solved with a longer engine mount. The CG range is only 4" and should probably be reduced to 3.5" in light of the fact that there has been a lose of control fatality with the CG at the aft limit in mild turbulence.

6. May 10, 2019 #6

savagebrother

savagebrother

savagebrother

sorry guys i should have clarified, its the B-10 i'm building, hey norman, any flying wing is going to be more sensitive to elevator inputs. doesn't make it bad but something to consider. not seeing the particulars of the accident i would bet that pilot over compensation of the controls was a factor. this is really a big problem in flying autgyros as they are the kings of up and down chaos. the B-10's open cockpit isn't bad at all, i've had 6 major surgeries on my neck and back and its easy for me to lay down next to it and slide right in and the flying position is very comfortable for me.
    turbulence, well it can be very disconcerting to a new pilot making him/her think they need to make inputs to the controls that are not necessary and could be dangerous.
    this brings up a plus for the flying wing, it enters and exits turbulence faster than standard layout aircraft and with far less pitching if any, if it ain't there it cant affect it!!
    so i am looking forward to building it and even more so flying it. the one thing im going to add is a cockpit cowling as this brings the L/D upwards of the 20 mark!!!
    everyone's input will be graciously accepted and needed. ill try to keep things updated as i do them.
    SB

7. May 10, 2019 #7

savagebrother

savagebrother

savagebrother

hey hot wings whats your new project???????
    SB

8. May 10, 2019 #8

savagebrother

savagebrother

savagebrother

thanks victor bravo and i will be soaking up as much knowledge from those members for sure.
    SB

9. May 10, 2019 #9

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Can't say just yet, don't want to jink the deal. But I could be spending another couple of hundred hours in front of the CAD screen converting paper plans to digital.........I'm actually looking forward to the project.:cool: o_O

10. May 10, 2019 #10

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

SavageBrother are you building a B-10 foot launch glider or a powered ultralight with a buggy?

11. May 10, 2019 #11

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Terrence O'Neill wrote about modifying a Wing in a 1995 Kitplanes. He emphasized having the c.g. right and how the plans were not clear on this part. There was another article floating around online about a Wing restoration which included a trip to "Terrible Terry's" (author claimed Terry called himself that) for flight training. Definitely read that.

12. May 11, 2019 #12

rickofudall

rickofudall

rickofudall

To anyone considering the U2, this came up on the Yahoo Mitchell Wing forum just a few minutes ago:
    From: lloydllc@justicemail.com [mitchellwing] <mitchellwing@yahoogroups.com>
    Date: Sat, May 11, 2019 at 2:47 PM
    Subject: Mitchellwing Yahoo Group U-2 Project For Sale
    To: <mitchellwing@yahoogroups.com>

I have a partially completed U-2 kit for sale.

Comes complete with high compression used Rotax 277 engine with belt drive and exhaust.

The ribs are done with T-88 epoxy and most of the fittings are finished. The rudders are done with the exception of the tips which include a custom-made mold for fiberglass tips. I completed all of the work.

When I got this kit, quite a bit of the 1mm plywood was mildewed, which could be used, but I planned to replace it. It will cost around $350 at Aircraft Spruce and can be shipped rolled in a box.

Canopy is in perfect condition with no scratches. Includes builders log, plans, builders manual, all foam ribs, canopy, finished parts, steel tubing and all wood that came with the kit. The aluminum aileron torque tubes are missing. Comes with expensive upgraded aileron torque tube (glider) bearings.

Could be shipped, but would be expensive! Located in Yerington NV.

$1000 Firm

13. May 12, 2019 #13

savagebrother

savagebrother

savagebrother

hey hot wings, im a CAD designer too.
    SB

14. May 13, 2019 #14

simflyer

simflyer

simflyer

Please, could be articles found somewhere to read (I haven't available Kitplane archive) ?

I found that some things about B10 wing structure are unclear - some are twisted whole from centerplane, some only at outer panels of wing and some stabilators are/ aren't twisted + also angles of twisting are different.

Most beautiful U2 is built by Wolfgang Uhl in germany - he used sailplane cockpit.

In Yahoo discussions could be found some useful comments/articles about changes to structure/aerodynamics.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  15. May 13, 2019 #15

simflyer

simflyer

simflyer

Czech built Mitchell B10 with fan:

Mitchell on skis in Canada:

Friends twoplace mod of Mitchell on photos. Here airplane conctructors recalculated B10 for higher strenght (drawings probably could be found).

Attached Files:

16. May 14, 2019 #16

b7gwap

b7gwap

b7gwap

I don’t know which of those is more awesome, the skis or the fan.. do you think the two stroke was direct drive to the impeller?

17. May 14, 2019 #17

savagebrother

savagebrother

savagebrother

it appeared to be a direct drive, noisy too.
    SB

18. May 15, 2019 #18

savagebrother

savagebrother

savagebrother

hey this is great, keep up the comments its really getting me going to get started.
    getting my prints shortly and then ill start and i wont stop till im done.
    SB

19. May 16, 2019 #19

b7gwap

b7gwap

b7gwap

Savagebrother, I noticed that Wicks sells B10 kits, do they also sell the drawings to the aircraft? Is that where you ordered yours?

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Austin

20. May 16, 2019 #20

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

I'd be more interested in where to source the original extrusions and other kit supplied parts. The information to reproduce those is not in the drawings.