Welding question

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Blue Chips, Jun 2, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 3, 2016 #21

Blue Chips

Blue Chips

Blue Chips

Yes, I have thought about it, would definitely save more weight and I would not have to farm out the construction, which presently I've zero experience.

The original control design is almost entirely a welded in place system which I did not like for several reasons, I've modified it to be mostly component removable, thinking down the road to replacing it with one made from carbon fiber.
    At the cost of Titanium it could even be a lower in cost ???

2. Jun 3, 2016 #22

ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Banned

I'm having trouble picturing what the assembly looks like with the something rotating inside but having ends on the tube. If you could post a picture or a diagram I might be able to help more.

Do he horns mount to the outside of a tube rather than the inside ? If what I'm picturing now (in my mind) is correct, could you just put lightening holes in the steel horns ? Could you also drill holes or machine slots in one of the tubes (the inner one). Then the one that slips over it would keep dirt out but you would loose more weight

throttle brk 1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  3. Jun 3, 2016 #23

Blue Chips

Blue Chips

Blue Chips

Pitch Swivel Tube Horns.JPG Collective-Assm.JPG
    I'd thought about milling a few slots in the inner tube, the horns have been lightened about as far as I want to go. the picture is the last batch, there are more with varying sizes but same principle with each slipped over a tube and welded.

The assembly pic is not at all complete but should help some with the understanding. The collective in the pic has two tubes, the inner is the actual collective and the larger OD outer serves only as the means to increase the throttle and connect to the other side via a small control rod with spherical bearings, both ends of the rod connecting to horns not shown in the pic.

Thanks

4. Jun 3, 2016 #24

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

That will depend on the prices of titanium tubes vs CF weave&epoxy at your location...