Welding..keep the skills

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by Derswede, Sep 18, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 18, 2019 #1

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Had to do a bit of welding on the nose gear of the CGS Hawk. Pulled out the Oxy-acetylene torch and got it flaming. I had not used it in at least 5 years. Oxy regulator was leaking, probably a bad diaphragm, so I dug around until I found my father's old regulator, unused for at least 40 years. Put pressure onto the regulator, no leaks, confirmed that everything was working ok and was safe, fired the torch up and.....had to rethink the entire process. I had forgotten quite a bit about gas welding. It came back quickly, but I realized how out of practice I am. Got the piece welded, but it took awhile to let the memories come back. Just mentioning this as it got me thinking about keeping skills we all once had, but do we think about keeping the skills current? I will take my gas rig to my office, it will get used quite a bit more there. The wire welder is neat, but I had let the gas welding skills deteriorate. A friend who has welded for many years will give me a bit of a refresher course. Should keep me from hurting myself with it. Keep your skills up!

Derswede

2. Sep 18, 2019 #2

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Art forms are like that, and welding is a art. I struggle with it as well when I don't weld for a while.

wsimpso1 likes this.
  3. Sep 18, 2019 #3

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

4. Sep 18, 2019 #4

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

Back in England, we used to have to get a welding certification even for working on homebuilts. Andt the CAA required this to be done every 6 months. which may be fine if you're working for Boeing or De Havilland, but for the average homebuilder that it was excessively expensive. So I did my supervised test, sent the pieces to a lab, had them hammered, torn, bent and x-rayed to their heart's content. And all subsequent welding I've done since was done in the first 6 months after the test!

I don't think it's a skill you lose but lack of practice will make the welds look a little ugly to begin with until you get back into the swing of things.

MadRocketScientist and Derswede like this.