Welcome to Taxachusetts $1,000 Landing Fee Proposed For Massachusetts Private Aircraft

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLiberatore

Hmmm....

Flat areas of land that can be converted to McMansion tracks or Business Parks, with a built in road as a starter as the housing market continues to explodes in MA. Do you know any realtors in that state or tangent businesses? They are incredibly busy.

"Cui Bono?" Who Benefits? I'll let your imagination figure that one out.

Listen to "Howie Carr" over the next few days, love to hear if he finds any connections.

Yes I escaped that State eons ago, and it is not hard to get that cynical.

Just look what happened to Bowles Airport.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member

Daleandee

As VB astutely pointed out earlier ... he's just baiting the hook to see what tackle he needs to land a big fish later ...

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Here's an update Mass. Senator Backs Off On Landing Fee Plan - AVweb:

...and he’s willing to significantly narrow its focus sparing the “little guy” and hitting the well heeled. “We’re really looking at out of state-owned private jets and other private aircrafts, particularly large jets owned by a corporation or owned by a company
I believe the punchline to this story is “Who is left to fight when they come for you?”

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Step 1) You introduce a huge, loud, and ridiculous new proposal that gets everyone angry, and creates a huge storm of publicity.

Step 2) Your opponents expend all their money, power, effort, time, and resources on fighting against it. With the Climate Mafia bankrolling the operation, you can just sit back and watch the fireworks fly.

Step 3) You magnanimously come to the negotiating table, and give your opponents a big victory, by scaling back your $1000 landing fee request to "only" 10% of the original proposal.

Step 4) With their resources expended, the opponents begrudgingly have to accept your proposal, and they can at least show the public "how hard we fought for your rights!"

Step 5) You sit back and collect $100 for every landing in the State for a while, and you take credit for adding millions of dollars to the State's treasury.

Step 6) You quietly write something in to the new rules that allows your political contributors and any corporations who you want to do you a favor an exemption to the fees.

I wouldn't pay 100 dollars!

Saville

Although the fees are intended to mitigate climate impact, apparently it's OK to pollute there as long as your plane is registered in MA.

And of course, chances are that not one dollar of those fees would go towards the climate. Though the General Aviation industry in the state would power dive and that would cut exhaust I suppose.

They tried this with the boating industry a couple decades ago: Massive fees for boat owners. The result was the near-death of the boating and boat building industry so the fees were rescinded.

Evidently politicians never learn.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
...They tried this with the boating industry a couple decades ago: Massive fees for boat owners. The result was the near-death of the boating and boat building industry so the fees were rescinded.

Yachts too. Remember the luxury tax? Congress passed it to earn an extra $9 billion in revenue to cover their deficit spending by taxing the "rich". It was eliminated a few years later after finding it generated almost no revenue at all, but not before decimating some segments of the luxury boating sector. They do the same thing with capital gains taxes every few years thinking they'll make the "rich" pay their "fair share" of taxes, despite the fact that the wealthy are already taxed at rates much higher than everyone else. They also never understand, or just decide not to mention, that the middle class pays the overwhelming majority of capital gains taxes in the US, so it isn't the "rich" that end up paying at all. I think their tongues would snap off if they were ever forced to tell the truth to the American people.

Here I go off topic again. Sorry.

Daleandee

Yachts too. Remember the luxury tax? Congress passed it to earn an extra $9 billion in revenue to cover their deficit spending by taxing the "rich".
I seem to recall a certain Massachusetts senator got caught docking his Yacht in Rhode Island ...

This kinda stuff is why I do support AOPA & EAA (formerly) as we need some advocates speaking for us. These groups might not be all that we desire but for now it seems they are the best we can do ...

Trying not to get too OT or political ...

ToddK

HBA Supporter
And of course, chances are that not one dollar of those fees would go towards the climate. Though the General Aviation industry in the state would power dive and that would cut exhaust I suppose.

They tried this with the boating industry a couple decades ago: Massive fees for boat owners. The result was the near-death of the boating and boat building industry so the fees were rescinded.

The only climate tax dollars are being used to fund is the climate of wasteful spending, government largesse, and vote buying.

Last edited:

PMD

About 30 years ago a friend of mine bought a half section SW of town and put down a grass strip (CRF5) so he could have his Cherokee in the back yard. A few people straggled in as our city airport (YXE) was getting too large and expensive for the peons with bug smashers. Today, about 15 hangars are home to maybe 25 airplanes. The town has grown from the 1,100 dry Mennonite community to 10,000 bedroom commuters and someone decided to build a hotel right East of the runway on the other side of the highway. Local government/politicians have approached my friend with the "suggestion" that he just moves his runway to a new heading so airplanes are flying over the hotel!!!!!!!!!!!! To make matters worse, my more well-healed friends who have T hangars in the City have been told that their leases are now subject to cancellation with very short notice, since the Airport Authority would like to build more big buildings on the extreme corner of the field that is now home to a dwindling number of private aircraft.

Sadly, we do a piss poor job of explaining genav and the E/AB world to the general public. AND, we have become politically incorrect.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Please tell everyone you know to NOT move to WV. Just about the worse place in the world to live, please, please.

Dan

blane.c

HBA Supporter
About 30 years ago a friend of mine bought a half section SW of town and put down a grass strip (CRF5) so he could have his Cherokee in the back yard. A few people straggled in as our city airport (YXE) was getting too large and expensive for the peons with bug smashers. Today, about 15 hangars are home to maybe 25 airplanes. The town has grown from the 1,100 dry Mennonite community to 10,000 bedroom commuters and someone decided to build a hotel right East of the runway on the other side of the highway. Local government/politicians have approached my friend with the "suggestion" that he just moves his runway to a new heading so airplanes are flying over the hotel!!!!!!!!!!!! To make matters worse, my more well-healed friends who have T hangars in the City have been told that their leases are now subject to cancellation with very short notice, since the Airport Authority would like to build more big buildings on the extreme corner of the field that is now home to a dwindling number of private aircraft.

Sadly, we do a piss poor job of explaining genav and the E/AB world to the general public. AND, we have become politically incorrect.
Most people seem to fear flying, a fear promoted by the media in my opinion because they sensationalize for the sake of sales of soap and other products any aviation accident and both feed and feed upon the ignorance of the majority of people. HBA itself has recently succumbed to advertising, it is become normal for everything to be attached to an advertising apparatus or die. The downside is advertising has no integrity, while it may loudly proclaim its innocence it is a false proclamation. Advertising exists for the sole purpose of profit and allows nothing to interfere with its goal. When it becomes the societal norm that it is ok to do most anything in the name of profit it becomes difficult for such a society to understand the need for things like airports which are to most just in the way of the next condominium or putting green. The advertising engine is driving in a large part the varying apparatus of daily life and without showing the advertising industry the benefit (spelled profit) of general aviation we are to be put continually to the outskirts of civilized areas. Best to choose a spot way, way out of the way and inhospitable to the majority of people for your next airport.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Advertising exists for the sole purpose of profit
That doesn't bother me. Capitalism has done more good for mankind than any other system.
and allows nothing to interfere with its goal.
That does bother me.

BTW, when was the last time that a story about an airplane or a pilot report went to the trouble to actually measure speeds rather than simply repeat the owner’s or manufacturer’s claims?

BJC

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Worse that Newark, N.J. Rednecks everywhere.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
They do the same thing with capital gains taxes every few years thinking they'll make the "rich" pay their "fair share" of taxes, despite the fact that the wealthy are already taxed at rates much higher than everyone else.
Support this with evidence, please.
Can we just leave this alone and not go down the tiresome "income tax vs payroll tax" sidebar and the "forgetting" to include transfer payments and SS/Medicare "return on taxes paid"? All of it is disingenuous and unrelated to homebuilt aviation.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts