• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Weird Alclad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12notes

Supporting Member
I finished buying all the sheet metal for my aircraft 2 years ago, and recently made some parts, including the turtledeck, trailing edges of the wings, and ailerons with the Alclad 2024-T3 .016" that I had bought. I only stripped the protective plastic where the rivets were at the time of installation, so I did not notice until now that the metal isn't shiny underneath the plastic, but has a dull, brushed finish, which does not match the alclad on the rest of the plane. I double checked the packing list and order from Aircraft Spruce, Alclad 2024-T3 .016 was what I ordered and what they said they shipped.

Is this a weird form of alclad I'm not familar with, or, as I really expect, did I just make a large chunk of my plane (also trailing edges of wings, possibly ailerons(haven't checked yet)) with non-alclad aluminum? The plastic says 2024-T3, so at least the base metal is correct.

And how do I deal with it? Turtledeck would not be simple to change, I can't fit in the fuselage to back drill holes onto a new turtledeck. I didn't want to paint the plane, but I assume I need to paint these pieces now? Would a vinyl wrap be any lighter than paint?

I haven't yet contacted Aircraft Spruce, as I'm not sure I can be civil about it at this time.

Back