• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Weight reduction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryM76

Supporting Member
Mod note: This was in the "Batteries" thread but I thought it deserved its own discussion:

I just installed one of these in my EAA bipe. It all started with a top overhaul. Then the while I'm at its took over. I kept finding things I didn't like. Mostly plumbing and wiring. After its all said and done, I will probably have removed 100 lbs of excess weight from the airplane!

Wood prop (saves a ridiculous amount of weight)
Remove generator and controller (haven't seen anything like this since working on a 1950 Willys...)
Remove old bendix style starter (looks to belong on a bulldozer)
Install light weight starter and alternator. (tiny)
Remove primer (open cockpit, flown in warm weather, preheat, and accelerator pump. Many o290s didn't have a primer)
Remove oil cooler (most 0290s did not have one. D2s did, but my D2 has low compression pistons...so...)
Remove plenum and replace with regular baffle system this thing only goes 110mph....why does it need a heavy plenum.
Remove ridiculous, redundant, and dangerous fuel plumbing (honestly no words..)
Get rid of stupid oil separation system needed because they put the crankcase vent on the back of the accessory case where oil is being slung everywhere, instead of from the front of the engine as intended...
Move battery from behind cockpit to firewall
Get rid of separate starter solenoid.
Fuse all circuits.

New battery. LiFePo it has over 200 cold cranking amps and weighs nothing. It and the battery box I made for it weigh less than the battery tray for the old aircraft battery. RIDICULOUS!!

View attachment 65449

It and the new starter turn the engine over at a frighteningly fast rpm compared to the old set up.

That said, the new battery really acts more like a capacitor. It can deliver a tremendous punch for a short period of time, but the amp hours are pretty low. Doesn't matter on this electrically independent, simple aircraft. Great for a starter battery, not so much for propulsion.

Which alternator are you using?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back