Webinar - Composites and Graphene: Stronger Together

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by blane.c, Oct 2, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 10, 2019 #21

narfi

narfi

narfi

I went three videos deep on the video posted above and now I am stupider than I was before :/

I assume this is different than the carbon powder I mixed with epoxy for abrasion resistance on the bottom of my boat even though it looks the same.
    Carbon at a nano level, so not as strong as carbon fiber in resin but stronger than resin on its own?
    I assume you cant just roll a coat of resin with this stuff mixed in on each side of a sheet of foam and call it a structural part?
    Could you give the abridged 'for dummies' version of what it is and what it is useful for?

blane.c likes this.
  2. Oct 10, 2019 #22

RSD

RSD

RSD

When you are doing carbon fibre layup mix a little bit of this black magic into the epoxy and the finished product will be even stronger.

3. Oct 10, 2019 #23

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I didn't get a chance to see the podcast, but my take from the info in a quoted section (in post 2 above) is that the graphene added to the epoxy mechanically locks on to the carbon fibers, and improves the attachment between the fibers and the epoxy matrix. The improvement in interlaminate adhesion indicates to me that strain in one layer of CF will be more effectively shared with other layers, which would improve stiffness and ultimate strength of the layup. Graphene helps the other elements of the layup (the carbon fiber and the epoxy) work better together. I've read that it improves the performance of fiberglass in epoxy also.

So, Boeing, Airbus, et al would love to reduce the weight of their parts by 10%-30% by just adding less than 1% graphene. I wonder if they are doing that? It might show up in military CF first, but I'll want to see it in manned acft from a big company before I'd jump on board. And we'd need dependable data on how it performs before engineers or homebuilders can make maximum use out of it.

4. Oct 10, 2019 #24

BJC

BJC

BJC

I wonder what the effects on people and the environment will be after a fire that burns away the resin and releases the graphene to the environment. Ditto spills and accidental releases in manufacturing and handling.

BJC

Vigilant1 likes this.
  5. Oct 10, 2019 #25

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm no expert, but I suspect the issues are reduced if it is in particles that are at least as large as those that are normally occurring in nature. But in the "as supplied" state, many of these nanoparticles are just too small to be effectively caught and eliminated by the normal mechanisms animals and plants now have.
    The environmental regs on nanoparticles are woefully inadequate now. For example, graphene is now an ingredient in hair dyes, it is getting dumped down drains by the bucket full, drying as a powder on bathroom counters, etc. I'm sure we'll see a "fix" eventually, which will probably go too far in the other direction.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    blane.c and BJC like this.
  6. Oct 11, 2019 #26

RSD

RSD

RSD

Sounds like I might have to do some testing...

7. Oct 11, 2019 #27

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

So when are we going to see graphene enhanced pulltruded rods?

8. Oct 11, 2019 #28

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

You know all those TV commercials nowdays advertising huge class action suits by law firms specializing in suing because of Mesothelioma and Asbestos???

It hink we've just discovered the material they are going to be suing everybody for, 20 and 40 years from now.

"Were you exposed to Graphene while building an experimental airplane? When you burp, does your garage door open? Does your stool have the same Young's Modulus as a steel I-beam??? Call the law firm of Going, Going and Gone today for a free consultation..."

9. Oct 12, 2019 #29

RSD

RSD

RSD

LMAO!

10. Oct 13, 2019 #30

Lendo

Lendo

Lendo

bmcj, Interesting question, I'm not local but perhaps someone who is might ask the manufacturer. I believe it's Diversifield in the States and DPP Netherlands in Europe and please let us all know.
    George

11. Oct 13, 2019 #31

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

:D