• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

"Weathervaning" a low-drag surface for a quadcopter arm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
Hi everyone.

You've probably seen these things flying around a lot lately:

zmr250kit-2.jpg

The "Arms" are the things that hold the motors on the end.

I want to 3D print a quadcopter frame, and I would like to streamline the arms. Right now they are flat plates, so when the quad is tilted forward, they end up creating some amount of flat plate drag. The difference between streamlining and not streamlining will be, I suspect, negligible, but I would like to see if it's even possible to do what I'm talking about.

In my mind I've got a piece of balsa with a motor attached to one end and the other rooted in the fuselage. Around that balsa beam is some sort of plastic covering that rotates according to oncoming airflow. Since most of the airflow is from the motor, I imagine that it would be sticking mostly upwards - but when the aircraft is in forward flight, some of the relative air would tip that covering forward to align it more with the oncoming airflow.

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea how to do this? I think it would be cool.

Cheers! :)

Back