We have a new licensed pilot here!!!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

1Bad88

Supporting Member
Thank you guys, it took a little over 2 years but I did get it on 2/3/14. It's been a lot of fun being able to fly wherever I want. I have 5.3 hours in so far this month and I had my first dual instruction in real IMC conditions; lots of good times. It looks like the FAA is starting to get caught up on their backlog of issuing certificates too so hopefully I'll have my "legit" license in the next couple of weeks.

Brian, my invitation stands, you fly up here and help me finish it! I have managed to find some time to work on it this week; strange feeling...

...And when will you complete your license?

Autodidact

I have to admit, I'm a little jealous! I haven't flown in a looong time, but I am glad that you are getting to. Keep going and get as many ratings as you can!:grin:

psween

Congrats on the new ticket! There's no better feeling than those first few hours when you're the honest to goodness PIC. Once our runway thaws out and dries out, come down for a visit. We'd probably be less than an hour from you depending on what you're flying and how big a loop you decide to do to skirt the MSP Class B. I envy you, you're doing a lot more flying than me right now!

Patrick Sween
7MN3, Caldbeck Field, Spring Valley, MN

1Bad88

Supporting Member
Patrick, let me know when you are all dried out and I will come down there; I want to visit some family in Spring Valley too. I'm flying out of Anoka now so I would need to go around the class B but it's not a big deal if you stay low enough (2200 ft floor).

psween

From ANE we're only about 100 nm, and that's if you cut east first to get out of the inner ring of Class B, then skirt around Lake Elmo and head south under the 4K ft. floor. Never actually been into Anoka, but have gone over it on the way to Crystal. With the snow we had this year, and normal spring thaw, it'll be at least 6 weeks to dry out. That's assuming we don't get freak snow into May like last year! I'll let you know when it gets to looking more like spring.

Patrick

Vipor_GG

Thank you guys, it took a little over 2 years but I did get it on 2/3/14. It's been a lot of fun being able to fly wherever I want. I have 5.3 hours in so far this month and I had my first dual instruction in real IMC conditions; lots of good times. It looks like the FAA is starting to get caught up on their backlog of issuing certificates too so hopefully I'll have my "legit" license in the next couple of weeks.

Brian, my invitation stands, you fly up here and help me finish it! I have managed to find some time to work on it this week; strange feeling...

...And when will you complete your license?

Congrats.

On the current track I am on, 3 or 4 months. As you know of my situation, depends on what happens with work. I am hunting a Colt or tripacer though, going to look at a 160hp tripacer today.....

The Tri-Pacer is one of my favorite planes. I use it in FlightGear more than any other plane. Got 22 hours on it in the sim.
fgfs-screen-072.png

2-24-14-1.jpg

Brian Clayton

After hunting around and looking at inexpensive projects, they seem to be a really good value, for a all around plane. Not the prettiest to most people, sort of like a poor mans 172. Inexpensive to operate, inexpensive to buy, easy to fly. If I didnt have so many irons in the fire, I would do a project with one. Heck, there are plenty on flying examples on barnstormers right now ranging from 6500-15,000. Almost hard to justify a recover and engine build on a project, just for something to fly. If I was closer to Washington State, I would be all over the one listed for 6,500. There is a complete airframe project with about 1500tt for 1,500 and a few more around 2500. They seem like a pretty good deal for a older, capable airplane. Even have a 900lb useful load (about 600+ full fuel) and range from 0-235 to 0-360 engines. 130 or so cruise with the bigger engines.