Quantcast

Water Rocket?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Giggi

If there's anything more emblematic of the flat-earth movement than launching a steam-powered rocket from a motorhome, I'm hard-pressed to think of it.
Doing such while wearing a tin-foil hat.
I should call him and convince him to do that. Tell him the government's mind-controlling radio waves get stronger higher up in the atmosphere and recommend he uses protection just to be safe :roll:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Doing such while wearing a tin-foil hat.
I should call him and convince him to do that. Tell him the government's mind-controlling radio waves get stronger higher up in the atmosphere and recommend he uses protection just to be safe :roll:
What total thickness of aluminium foil do you recommend, and how far down on the side of my head does it need to come? (I’ve heard that they recently increased the transmitter power.)

BJC

Aesquire

I think there's a basic misconception here on the physics. ( the legal part has been covered )

Water doesn't pressurize. It's not the fuel in a water rocket. It's reaction mass. In this case it's accelerated by compressed air.

If your rocket is a simple can half full of water and half full of compressed air, that can/bottle needs to be strong enough to hold the compressed air. The velocity you can impart to the water and the mass of the water give you thrust. There's no phase change boost to that thrust. And as noted above, thrust is highest at the beginning and drops off rapidly.

I'm more than skeptical on this producing useful acceleration for the weight penalty.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
I prefer the Reynolds Non-stick. The bird droppings scrape off much easier.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in this company.
It's too late for you, your already under control, they have t you believing the most devious of their lies, because aluminium foil contains no tin, and is useless against the mind control beams. Good luck finding actual tin foil, is no longer sold in grocery stores, and ordering it puts you on "the list".

The article i read said the rocket was steam powered, is that the flat-earther (pronounced /mo-ron/) explanation of mixing air and water, or is he actually trying to use steam?

Aesquire

M. I.T. students tested aluminum foil hats in the radio lab. Three types, crinkled skull cap, conical skull cap, origami paper boat style.

All improved reception in the bands used by the C.I.A. Take that for what it's worth. :)

Steam rocket, not a lot of detail in the news.

Jimstix

Water rocket rule of thumb – the pressure vessel should hold 1/3 water to 2/3 compressed air by volume. A couple of issues with “big” water rockets: 1) you need a lightweight pressure vessel, and 2) you need a sure-fire nozzle plug release mechanism.
IMO, you cannot build a light weight pressure vessel from metal, so glass or carbon are on deck. So you need to build a light weight, high strength pressure vessel out of carbon fiber.
Having examined the nozzle plug design for such a big water rocket, it appears that a collet-like mechanism is the easiest to build and promises to be reliable.
This study of a non-flying water rocket that I conducted used a 4130-welded rocket motor case (expended) that would have been pressurized to about 1,500 psi with nitrogen. The existing nozzle was to have been removed and replaced with a simple, constant diameter pipe about 6 inches long and about 2 inches id. This was to have been honed smooth to receive the o-rings on the plug.
Sorry, no further data is available because it wasn’t built or tested.
However, I’d rather jump up and down on a box of C4 than stand next to a high-pressure gas storage tank. I’ve never seen C4 let go accidently, but have witnessed a pressure vessel fail unintentionally. Both will kill you. Be careful out there.

See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaMJKog9k04

Jim

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Interesting video. That "water" rocket could be positioned for vertical launch. "Water assisted vertical takeoff" (WAVT).

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
From post #63 " His latest attempt at infamy will take place on Saturday, November 25, as he hopes to fly over the California ghost town of Amboy at approximately 500 mph. This event will not be televised, and can only be viewed on Internet pay-per-view."

Has anyone seen the results. Today is the 28th.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Jepledper,

I compliment your critical thinking and engineering. You look to be headed toward a good future in spite of the apparent negative response of many here. Keep up the good work.

I have not verified your calculations but am not convinced that the claimed performance is accurate. Would you please review the processes and confirm that your calculations are correct. I suspect there may be an order of magnitude error.

Having said that there is Video on the web of a Qulicksilver launch from a hydraulic pusher you will find interesting. *

You will find the landing to be a significant challenge also.

*Looking for the link but have not found it yet. Same German company (Festo) that made the Flying Sea Gull RC model https://www.ted.com/playlists/2/tech_breakthrough , the upside down castle hot air balloon and the inflatable flying wing (not paraglider type inflatable wing).

Last edited:

choppergirl

Banned
I play the videos of the supposed "evidence" for a round earth, and I don't know about you, but it's clear to me, when I put my hand up against the Earth on my monitor, it feels pretty darn FLAT to me.

A flat L square held up against the Earth on my monitor confirms it, it's totally FLAT... even if I full screen zoom it, it's still flat.

Junk science and junk assertions captures more eyeballs, travels further, and if you spout enough of it baselessly, can get you elected.
The truth is frequently mundane and boring, and causes no controversy or incredulous viral chatter that spreads like wildfire.

Did you know that airplanes fly because of "levitons", which are tiny invisible particles that stick to the wings and lift it towards the heavens.
Those not in the know, say these sticky particles are because of a boundary layer, but it's really levitons, which are in the air all around us and stick to things.
It's what makes hot air balloons and other balloons fly, and they have no wings at all, and it keeps clouds in the air.
On a hot and sweaty day, you can even "feel" the levitons sticking to you. That's why we have showers, so you can wash them off, before you float away.
From "levitons", we get the word "levitate", and "unleavened", as in unleavened bread, which is bread that doesn't fly.

Last edited by a moderator: