Warbird Panel redo

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

spaschke

I've recently purchased a T42a project that needs a complete interior restoration, including the panel. Engine steam guages exist. all but the essential stuff was removed. It has the original army paint. I plan to sell it after getting my twin rating in it. Which would improve the 1. saleability and 2. price the most?
a. Modern look. Aspen glass panel, digital autopilot, gps, mode s/ ADS-B transponder, will have a few number of steam guages for backup. Possibly an engine monitor system.
b. Restore to original. Steam guages, put in an autopilot (original was taken out), get some old radios, add adsb-uavonics tail beacon to comply.
c. Resto mod. Keep round guages, mostly steam, but upgrade to Garmin 275 round guage(s), add GPS, A/P and modern radios
d. your recommendations

TFF

I like B ish C. That gets the respect for the warbirds. A full panel of round gauges is cooler too. Now with that said a coupled GPS autopilot will make it go anywhere. But then starts the tumble. A couple of offset G5s….

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
How many multi-million dollar Gold Lindy warbird restorations have glass panels in them? Especially since nowdays an iPad and other portable components sitting on top of the glareshield can give you all the TCAS and GPS and synthetic vision and current Lunar surface winds without so much as drilling a hole?

cvairwerks

I wouldn’t buy it just to get a rating. Way cheaper to go simply buy a block of time at your local flight school. By the time you bought the project and got it flying, I’d bet you have at least 60k$ beyond the purchase and putting in a bare minimum VFR panel.

spaschke

I like B ish C. That gets the respect for the warbirds. A full panel of round gauges is cooler too. Now with that said a coupled GPS autopilot will make it go anywhere. But then starts the tumble. A couple of offset G5s….
but I could use the 275 instead of the G5 and have round guages.

ToddK

Supporting Member
Its a baron that was owned by the military for a while. Its not anywhere on the list of desirable ex military aircraft.

Treat it like a twin, and move on. See what Barons are selling for, and go where the value is. Stick with functional stuff. Avionics get very expensive real fast.

A twin is going to be used for training, building time, and going places. To that end, were it me, I would go for option C, and try to buy as much used stuff as possible.

spaschke

thank you for your advice. One can get carried away looking at all these toys. The original look is the least expensive. I was leaning that way.
I will get some used stuff so it looks fairly original. I don't want a 58 yo autopilot. I have seen S-Tec and garmin a/p systems in B55 barons.
I was thinking that If my attitude indicator is bad, I might go with an electronic one e.g. garmin 275 for CDI, attitude and/or the uavonics one for the transponder and ADS-B functionality. The original Huge remote transponder is there, but no head to control it. So that is going away.
I'll have to research which brands/models work together.
I am planning on a plain military looking interior and I'll be touching up the paint, but not changing it. The engines are low hour engines but I'll have them inspected since they haven't run in about 5 years.

spaschke

I wouldn’t buy it just to get a rating. Way cheaper to go simply buy a block of time at your local flight school. By the time you bought the project and got it flying, I’d bet you have at least 60k$ beyond the purchase and putting in a bare minimum VFR panel.
I'm not buying it just to get the rating, I am getting the rating because I have it. It's a small investment and profitable even if I were to part it out. I have an A&P friend who knows these old barons and will help and guide me. He doesn't know the new avionics so keeping it original is where he would be the most help. I think with mostly used avionics, I can keep it under $50k. It would be around $75k for a minimal semi glass panel (avoiding Garmin).
Getting it done more quickly than I did my kit plane will help lessen the costs. 😄

ToddK

Supporting Member
thank you for your advice. One can get carried away looking at all these toys. The original look is the least expensive. I was leaning that way.
I will get some used stuff so it looks fairly original. I don't want a 58 yo autopilot. I have seen S-Tec and garmin a/p systems in B55 barons.
I was thinking that If my attitude indicator is bad, I might go with an electronic one e.g. garmin 275 for CDI, attitude and/or the uavonics one for the transponder and ADS-B functionality. The original Huge remote transponder is there, but no head to control it. So that is going away.
I'll have to research which brands/models work together.
I am planning on a plain military looking interior and I'll be touching up the paint, but not changing it. The engines are low hour engines but I'll have them inspected since they haven't run in about 5 years.

If you can ditch the vacuum system do it. They are a massive pain. Not sure about privately owned aircraft, but every flight school I have been at only seems to go through oil and tires faster then they go through vacuums system parts, and gyros.

Until recently I would have recommend the 275 over the AV-30 as the AV-30 I used for my IFR training seem to precess more then it should, supposedly that got better with a software update after the fact. Now that Uavonics has a magnetometer out, I would consider it. A pair of AV-30s would be much less expensive then a pair of 275s.

spaschke

Its a baron that was owned by the military for a while. Its not anywhere on the list of desirable ex military aircraft.

Treat it like a twin, and move on. See what Barons are selling for, and go where the value is. Stick with functional stuff. Avionics get very expensive real fast.

A twin is going to be used for training, building time, and going places. To that end, were it me, I would go for option C, and try to buy as much used stuff as possible.
agreed. not a combat aircraft. just used for training and hauling lower generals around. The interior wreaks of cigar and cigarette smoke. I researched what the old B55 barons sell for and how upgraded panels affect the price. Which is why a full garmin panel is not going to happen.

TFF

Does it fly on the regular type certificate or is it military experimental? As for 275 or G5, up to you. One friend was ferrying a Queen Air somewhere and he stop at home. Another friend and I crawled up in the cockpit. Except for the 430 it was stock. I could see my friend have a moment of past days when that was the dream of looking at 20 gauges in the panel. A lot will be what it looks like now. Military paint and restored is hard to beat on the ground showing off. In the air it’s about what gets the job done per budget.