Quantcast

Wanting to build the cheapest off the shelf safest aircraft: Rigging

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

CLYFFCARLOCK

Could anyone give me links to pictures and/or diagrams of very basic aircraft rigging. Just enough to get the job done and be able to maneuver in the air. Thank you for any help you can give me. P.S., there should be a seperate category on the subject of rigging. How do I make a new category on "Rigging"? Thanks again.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Welcome to HBA.

How about maneuver for a safe landing too? :)

You will need to ask a more specific question.

What kind of airplane are you needing to "rig?"

BJC

proppastie

Log Member
Rig to the manufacture's recommendations. Get the maintenance manual or plans if it is experimental. If it is a biplane get lots of help.

Turd Ferguson

Could anyone give me links to pictures and/or diagrams of very basic aircraft rigging. Just enough to get the job done and be able to maneuver in the air. Thank you for any help you can give me. P.S., there should be a seperate category on the subject of rigging. How do I make a new category on "Rigging"? Thanks again.
Okay, so I'm guessing you don't really mean "rigging" in the conventional airplane sense. It looks like you want to know what's the minimum controls an airplane can have and still be safely maneuverable in the air?
If done correctly, a plane only needs controls "rigged" to provide motion on 2 of the three axis; elevator and rudder. Some ultralights like a Quicksilver flew this way as did the Skypup. Of course, the plane has to be "designed" correctly so the rudder is adequately coupled (aerodynamically) to provide roll motion as well as yaw. So if you want to fly something with ultralight like performance, it would be entirely possible to do it with 2 axis control.

CLYFFCARLOCK

I had a simple question, needed a simple answer. I am just in the brainstorming stage at this point. I do not have a "certain" aircraft in mind. Just wanted a basic diagram of the aircraft controls. I did not recieve a single answer to my question, just more questions. I found my answer at this link.

AERONAUTICS CENTER .

Thanks for the great help and warm welcome for the newbie.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I had a simple question, needed a simple answer. I am just in the brainstorming stage at this point. I do not have a "certain" aircraft in mind. Just wanted a basic diagram of the aircraft controls. I did not recieve a single answer to my question, just more questions. I found my answer at this link.

AERONAUTICS CENTER .

Note that the information at the link you provided does not include the word "rigging." There are multiple connotations of the term, ergo the requests for a more specific question of what you were looking for.

You are quite welcome for "the great help and warm welcome for the newbie." People here can be very helpful to those who are willing to learn.

BJC

TFF

We did not understand your terminology. Rigging in the context of flight controls is the adjustment of them. Rigging of the airframe, which is what most of us were thinking, is adjusting the airframe angles. That is why we wanted to know what kind of airplane.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member

AERONAUTICS CENTER .

If you just wanted a "basic diagram of the aircraft controls", that's what you should have asked for. Instead you asked about rigging, which is something else entirely. We have many pilots here, quite a few aircraft homebuilders, and even a few aeronautical engineers, but as far as I know no mind readers.

Dana

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter

AERONAUTICS CENTER .

Dude, go back and read your posts and next time please try to make them comprehensible for someone who is not already inside your head.

proppastie

Log Member
Well one does not know what he does not know. Perfectly understandable mistake.... You guys are a tough crowd.