Wanted to purchase: Fluid Dynamic Drag- Hoerner

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

J Galt

Lifetime Supporter
Hey everyone,
Anyone want to sell their copy of Fluid Dynamic Drag? I see there is a website selling them but it is unsecure and I don't want to put my credit card info in there.
Anyway, let me know if you want to offload yours for some $.
Thank you,
Justin

Mad MAC

There is a contact from on the webpage have you tried that.

The pricing bots seem to have once again driven the used price beyond reasonable once again.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
I bought what I thought might be a legitimate copy of it a couple of years ago, but what I received had tiny print (the width of my thumb covers 11 lines) and some of the pages have the Google logo and "University of California" printed on them. It appears to be a bunch of screen captures from the U of C library reprinted in book form with a cheap binding and cover. Don't buy it if it looks like this:

Attachments

J Galt

Lifetime Supporter
Oh boy that looks impossible to read. Thank you for the heads up!
Justin

J Galt

Lifetime Supporter
There is a contact from on the webpage have you tried that.

The pricing bots seem to have once again driven the used price beyond reasonable once again.
Thank you I sent them a contact request.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I bought what I thought might be a legitimate copy of it a couple of years ago, but what I received had tiny print (the width of my thumb covers 11 lines) and some of the pages have the Google logo and "University of California" printed on them. It appears to be a bunch of screen captures from the U of C library reprinted in book form with a cheap binding and cover. Don't buy it if it looks like this:
+1 for abebooks.com reprints when they have the one you're looking for.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I have borrowed a copy through Inter-Library Loan at my friendly, local public library. Easy and free, but requires patience. That might be an option, to tide you over while you look for your own copy.

drgondog

Fluid Dynamic Drag by Horner is a solid aero book, but raises the question "what are you looking for?"

If your primary objective is to understand the basics of drag and how to estimate parasite drag components 'the way they done it back then', it is hard to beat and you don't need higher math or solve differential equations. Chapter 14 is a great walkthrough on steps to convert top speed at a specific altitude for a given Hp engine to derive flat plate drag for a Bf 109G - for example - then reverse engineer parasite drag for individual fuselage groups.

If you want to see 'real life aero Performance estimation processes, given wind tunnel data for a specific Speed/RN, then I recommend the NAA reports NA-5534 for P-51B-1-NA and NA-8449 for P-51D-5-NA. You MUST have some substantial aero academics to bring with you as several steps in the process assume that you 'know the obvious'. The P-51D report is buried in the Smithsonian folder labeled MISC, and further imbedded in the P-51D-5 Wing Structural analysis Report (500+ pages). he P-51B report is available at Aero Library.

If you are looking for Fundamentals of Aero/performance there are many more to be recommended

Last edited:

robertbrown

Not for sale but I have to brag about my copy of "Fluid Dynamic Drag" that was given to me by a friend of my father's. Correspondence with Dr-Ing Hoerner was stuffed into the book including a letter replying to some questions. He says that wingtips are better than endplates and he recommends the Hoerner tip. That shouldn't be surprising!
https://hoernerfluiddynamics.com/shop/ Don't know if this is still active but it was the Hoerner family.

Last edited:

GeorgeG

You might try Scribd. They have lots of aero books. Also, I have a .pdf of both Dynamic Lift and Dynamic Drag that I will send you free if you will give me your email address.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
If the Hoerner books are under copyright that is owned by the Hoerner family, and if they are on Scribd without the family's permission, they should write to Scribd and demand that they be taken off that site. Scribd is loaded with material that clearly infringes on copyrights, but only a protest by the actual copyright holder of each piece can make them take them down.
It is an unsavory business model, IMO.

Last edited:

Mike W

I have a copy of Hoerner's book which is looking for a good home. I will be 80 this month and can't see me designing any more aircraft. If you want to make an offer for it I will let it go. it's time to start winding down before the Kids throw everything in the skip. Postage may be a bit expensive from the UK however.
Mike W.

atypicalguy

HBA Supporter
Just sack up, do the right thing and buy it from his widow. It is a nice book and worth every penny.

J Galt

Lifetime Supporter
Fluid Dynamic Drag by Horner is a solid aero book, but raises the question "what are you looking for?"

If your primary objective is to understand the basics of drag and how to estimate parasite drag components 'the way they done it back then', it is hard to beat and you don't need higher math or solve differential equations. Chapter 14 is a great walkthrough on steps to convert top speed at a specific altitude for a given Hp engine to derive flat plate drag for a Bf 109G - for example - then reverse engineer parasite drag for individual fuselage groups.

If you want to see 'real life aero Performance estimation processes, given wind tunnel data for a specific Speed/RN, then I recommend the NAA reports NA-5534 for P-51B-1-NA and NA-8449 for P-51D-5-NA. You MUST have some substantial aero academics to bring with you as several steps in the process assume that you 'know the obvious'. The P-51D report is buried in the Smithsonian folder labeled MISC, and further imbedded in the P-51D-5 Wing Structural analysis Report (500+ pages). he P-51B report is available at Aero Library.

If you are looking for Fundamentals of Aero/performance there are many more to be recommended
Mainly I'm looking for design heuristics like "don't start fuselage taper until after the wing TE", etc. Things like that have been discussed on this forum and a lot of books I have reference Hoerner as does Mike(?) Arnold in the youtube vids from the "Arnold Company". Any suggestions are much appreciated.

As mentioned, the families' website is unsecured or I would have bought it new already, it's only $110 which is less than used ones.

Thanks guys,
Justin

atypicalguy

HBA Supporter
Mainly I'm looking for design heuristics like "don't start fuselage taper until after the wing TE", etc. Things like that have been discussed on this forum and a lot of books I have reference Hoerner as does Mike(?) Arnold in the youtube vids from the "Arnold Company". Any suggestions are much appreciated.

As mentioned, the families' website is unsecured or I would have bought it new already, it's only $110 which is less than used ones.

Thanks guys,
Justin
Drop a check in the mail then.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Mike W, please start listing your books for sale so we can keep them out of "...the skip." Those books have helped create some cool aeroplanes.