• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Airplane Wanted Wanted - Quickie Q1 Project

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

n3puppy

==============================
Take the same CC, 2 & 4 Stroke Engines and turn them the same rpm, the 2 Stroke will make double the hp, so yea it burns more Gas
All things equal (CC, Rpm, CR, Etc) Two stokes will not make twice the Hp of four strokes.

No need to further pollute 1BAD88's Want ad for a Quickie project with unrelated motor discussions.
Start a new thread in the 2-stroke section and we can discuss the common sense scientific reasons why double hp will not happen.

1Bad88

===================

What makes you think I'm mad? Maybe I get a little frustrated at times, never mad. We see People daily come on these different FB Groups and on here wanting people to do their research when a simple Google Search would answer 95% of their Questions. Like Quick Heads FAQ FAQ I gave you a link to would Answer most of your questions!

Looking for a Plane/Project you would look in the Wanted Section on here, or Barnstormers, or eBay, or FB Market Place, and Craigslist and I use www.searchtempest.com which is a Good Search Engine for both eBay & Craigslist. In 15 Minutes you can search in a 2000+ Mile Radius of where you live from your Zip Code.

Not understanding something is one thing, being Lazy and not doing some research is another. You ask one thing, then say another. It's obvious you haven't really researched this plane much or the different engines used on it. You could have said at the very beginning, Hey, I'm looking for Flying Quickey Q1 with a 4 Stroke or a nearly finished project! If you had done some basic research on Quick Heads you would find very few Q1 even uses a 4 Stroke Onan 18-22hp, because it's underpowered, let alone any other 4 Strokes which are usually too Heavy, until today, there are some Honda/Clones that could work. The Plans/Kit came out in 1978 that's 43 Years ago.

The Build Time for a Quickie Q1 is 500hrs/8hrs= 62.5 Days at 8hrs a day, or 31.25 Weekends. The fastest one built I know of was 6 months and that was 25 years ago. Today with Hobby CNC Routers, 3D Printers, premade parts you could do it in less time. Since 3D Printers have gotten larger, you might be able to 3D many parts. I have seen a 20ft Kayak 3D Printed in modules that were then glued & screwed together.

It's like Victor putting down 2 Strokes left & right in his post, then recommending a 2 Stroke Polini, kind of ridiculous, isn't it?

If you want to Learn about 2 Strokes, Download and Read this Book. It's Free.
That's a lot of assumptions in a single post. You are obviously an angry boomer (who else would still use search tempest?) that is only here for forum sliding. Begone troll.

Victor Bravo

Armilite I'm not the one looking for a Quickie, 1bad88 was the one doing that. The Q-1is small and light enough that using a much lighter engine on it (a 2-stroke that weighs less for the same HP) would create significant balance issues, which would complicate the conversion.

As for me personally...

I can look up things in a book as well as anyone here. I can even understand most of the things in most of the books (for the books I can't understand, Billski, Dana, and three or four others here can translate it into simple words that I can understand).

I appreciate 2-stroke engines but I also appreciate their limitations and their window of real-world use (I am sorry to have to be the one to inform you, but the 2-stroke Rotax engine does not cure cancer. No matter how many exclamation points surround it).

1Bad88

THREAD DRIFT ALERT
As a Boomer who just recently discovered Search Tempest, is there a better tool out there?
THREAD DRIFT THREAT OVER !!!!
Lol, search tempest was great before they got sued. The old standard of using: site:craigslist.org [search term] into your search engine will give you results without the ads. It isn't geo limited.

daveklingler

1Bad88, other than what you've done already (posting a want ad, searching Craigslist), I'd also drop a note to the Q-List and Quickbuilders (if you haven't done that too).

I have a Q1 project but I'm hanging on to it for now. Nyah, nyah.

Armilite

Armilite I'm not the one looking for a Quickie, 1bad88 was the one doing that. The Q-1is small and light enough that using a much lighter engine on it (a 2-stroke that weighs less for the same HP) would create significant balance issues, which would complicate the conversion.

As for me personally...

I can look up things in a book as well as anyone here. I can even understand most of the things in most of the books (for the books I can't understand, Billski, Dana, and three or four others here can translate it into simple words that I can understand).

I appreciate 2-stroke engines but I also appreciate their limitations and their window of real-world use (I am sorry to have to be the one to inform you, but the 2-stroke Rotax engine does not cure cancer. No matter how many exclamation points surround it).
======================

Victor, just about every Rotax 2 Stroke, Kawasaki 340/440 2 Stroke, even a Wankle was put on a Quickey Q1 up to a Skidoo 583. The Original Onan that was used was very heavy. Those Twins used are longer. With a lighter-weight engine like the Hirth F33 or Simonini Mini 3, Compact Radial MZ34, Rotax 277UL, which all make adequate hp can be moved in or out to help Balance the CG. Going with a heavier Engine can also cause the same issues. Nothing is unsolvable. The only limit's of these 2 Strokes is your knowledge, or should I say lack of knowledge, most people in the Real World don't have problems using them.

You want Reliability in a 2 Stroke:

1. Bore & Hone Cylinders with a Toque Plate.

2. Use 93 Octane or better 100LL with TCP Additive. Detonation is the #1 Failure Point!

3. Use a Good High Flash Point 2 Stroke Oil, preferably Hirths Blue Max or Amsoil Saber Pro, premixed at 80:1, 90:1, 100:1 depending on Weather Temps. This also means fewer Decarbons are needed 700+ hrs. #2 Failure point!

4. Change Out your Whole Fuel System, Carb Boots regularly, and use Tygon Fuel Line. #3 Failure point!

5. Use Carb Heat. I would put Carb Ice at #4 Failure point!

6. Warm UP your Engine before Takeoff.

7. Use gradual Throttle Settings.

8. Store your Engine Properly.

9. Actually READ your Engine Manual.

10. Use the different Engine Coatings that fight Heat ad Corrosion.

11. Use the Best Case Seals & Carb Boots, JBM.

12. Oil Injection can and does Fail. So Premixing is best.

13. Don't mess with the jetting if you can't READ and understand the Jetting Charts.

1992 Barber 583 Quickie!

Nathan Peck single place Quickie with the Rotax 503 Engine!

Armilite

That's a lot of assumptions in a single post. You are obviously an angry boomer (who else would still use search tempest?) that is only here for forum sliding. Begone troll.
===================

Funny, you're the Chump asking People for Help! Search Tempest and the others I gave works for me to search 2000 miles plus around my Zip Code in a quick 15 min search. While I usually only use 600 Miles account that is as far as I would go for most things, but 2000 Miles covers all the USA and most of Canada and Mexico. I just wish Search Tempest would tie in Facebook Market Place also.

Attachments

Last edited:

Armilite

All things equal (CC, Rpm, CR, Etc) Two stokes will not make twice the Hp of four strokes.

No need to further pollute 1BAD88's Want ad for a Quickie project with unrelated motor discussions.
Start a new thread in the 2-stroke section and we can discuss the common sense scientific reasons why double hp will not happen.
========================

Start your own thread and Prove your Point, 670 Skidoo vs a 670 V Twin! Same CC, use the same rpm, same CR, same Carb CFM Size, etc.

n3puppy

========================

Start your own thread and Prove your Point, 670 Skidoo vs a 670 V Twin! Same CC, use the same rpm, same CR, same Carb CFM Size, etc.
Like I said not going to pollute 1bad88's want ad explaining two stoke vs 4 stroke operation.
Have nothing to prove already know. Start a thread if you want to learn... BUT since you asked -
A 11.5cr Rotax 670 with dual 40mm carbs dynoed 26.5hp @ 3500rpm
26.5hp is NOT double the [email protected] of the smaller 8.4cr Briggs 627cc v-twin or 22hp Predator 670.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

Armilite, what is your background in aviation?

I can see from all of your posts that you've accumulated a large amount of numerical data on 2-stroke engines, and perhaps you have a significant amount of experience working on these engines. But that is not what I am asking about. I am asking what your actual hands-on experience is with anything that flies. Do you fly an ultralight, a weight shift trike, a powered parachute, a gyrocopter, a traditional experimental airplane, a certified airplane?

You are 100% welcome on this forum even with no experience at all... this forum is for all enthusiasts and those with interest, not just for people who own or fly something.

But it would be very helpful for me and perhaps others to "calibrate" your knowledge by being able to cross-reference it with the types of aircraft that this forum is focused on.

For example, if you asked me what my level of experience was with Jet-Ski's, "personal watercraft", snow machines or Skidoo's, I would have to honestly say none. If you asked me what my experience is with 2-stroke aircraft engines, I'd have to say almost none... one solo flight with a 503 and two rides in 582 powered UL's.

What is your flying experience ?

daveklingler

Perhaps some of these non-thread-related items could be discussed as PMs or in a different thread?

And maybe a moderator could trim it down to relevant posts?

Last edited: