Wanted: Picture of a split up (1/2)VW engine

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by RenaatXS, Jun 20, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 20, 2012 #1

RenaatXS

RenaatXS

RenaatXS

Hi there,

I've been google-ing for quite some time, but I can't seem to find the picture I would like to see. I think it's a shame that this forum has so few members who actually post pictures! Way too much talking, way too few pictures from actual results! I'm also active on a motorcycle forum, and there, every topic is full of pictures because the members show what they made so we can help each other out.

I want a picture of an airworthy (1/2) VW engine, with one crankcase removed. I want to see the main bearings position. Call it a section view, through the axis of the crankshaft.
    It should look like this (my 2CV engine)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm still worried about my original car thrust bearing, but I can't seem to find how a (1/2)VW engine is adapted to cope with prop thrust.

Many thanks

2. Jun 20, 2012 #2

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I don't have pics anymore, but the 1/2 VW is very much like the 2CV other than having the oil pump on the other end of the cam. The VW thrust bearing is of the same configuration.

Depending on how the VW is modified to make it a 1/2 VW the thrust bearing can be placed in the same location as the 2CV pictured (some machine work is needed on the cam drive gear) or the original VW center main bearing can be drilled and tapped to put a magneto drive on the end opposite the prop. The drive piece then takes the place of the original flywheel and takes the thrust via the bearing in the tractor mode.

3. Jun 20, 2012 #3

TFF

TFF

TFF

Join the 1/2 V Dub Yahoo group.

4. Jun 20, 2012 #4

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

This is the group you need to join, RenaatXS, with plenty of photos and downloadable PDFs with various explanations about bearings, magnetos, etc. Usually takes a few days for the forum administrator to approve your membership:

HalfVw_Engines : 1/2 Vw Aircraft Engines

5. Jun 20, 2012 #5

RenaatXS

RenaatXS

RenaatXS

Ok thanks for your help. I've sent a request to join that yahoo group.