Wanted machinist

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Turd Ferguson

You may have missed part of the context "Just have to find them."

I don't need to find them because I have a machine shop in my barn. However, a few yrs ago I belonged to a local club of hobby machinist that met every other month for show & tell and socializing. Almost all of them (~10 regular attendees) did piece work on a pro-bono basis, including me (that would be zero pennies). If it was a challenging job, they would discuss how they did it; the others would critique. This is all manual machine work, no CNC because it will likely be harder (though not impossible) to find people to fire that equipment up for free.

So it one puts forth a little effort, (Facebook home/hobby machinist groups are the most active places to look) can certainly find someone (probably local) that has the resources and it more than willing to do machine work.

Bigshu

You may have missed part of the context "Just have to find them."

I don't need to find them because I have a machine shop in my barn. However, a few yrs ago I belonged to a local club of hobby machinist that met every other month for show & tell and socializing. Almost all of them (~10 regular attendees) did piece work on a pro-bono basis, including me (that would be zero pennies). If it was a challenging job, they would discuss how they did it; the others would critique. This is all manual machine work, no CNC because it will likely be harder (though not impossible) to find people to fire that equipment up for free.

So it one puts forth a little effort, (Facebook home/hobby machinist groups are the most active places to look) can certainly find someone (probably local) that has the resources and it more than willing to do machine work.
Gotcha, I don't currently need any machining done, but the idea of hobby groups on FB had literally not occurred to me. I was completely keyed in on this sort of work being the province of the pros. Considering the rise of maker spaces, it's likely that the availability of low volume machining will get better, not worse. Thanks for opening my mind on this!

Aviacs

Our local steamshop based group is up in the 30's for extended membership. (not all show up for meetings & regrettably but unavoidably there is age attrition) Quite a few of the active members are pilots as well, at some past meetings 5 -6 out of 10 or a dozen attendees were.
Even beyond the multiple dirverse talents that brings to bear, is connecting with people you wouldn't tend to meet in normal walks of life. (OK, for good and bad :) ) But the actual direction i was going, is managers of large plants & reps of national & international industries. In the past couple years we've toured a foundry that still pours thousands of pounds/day for international shipping, and a turbine blade manufacturer, e.g. Plus lumber aggregator that ships to Europe and Asia, 3D metal printer with interesting contracts.

Covid has been unfortunate for us, though. reduced meetings, and more than that, reduced outreach and out-traveling for programs.

Per the OP:
Practical machinist has a RFQ section.
Resources from fairly large modern outfits, down to the proverbial garage shop with a few manual machines, & in between.

smt

JonMiller284

I have CNC machines, mills and lathes at my disposal I’m willing to give you a quote, also have lots of material laying around
Feel free to message me if you need something made, I’ll see if I can help!

Armilite

Hi im looking for someone ,(company or individual ) who can make few parts out of 6061-t6 ,local machinist shops are way out of my budget.
==================

What do you want to have made? Got some photos or CAD drawings? Ever thought to buy your own Lathe & Mill to make your own parts?

Armilite

Hmmm, I'll call your bluff! Prove that statement, and I won't even make you define "plenty". I'll settle for a few. So, list 3 or 4 machinists or "wannabes" in your area who will machine parts for pennies over cost. Qualify that by saying anything more than 99 cents over cost makes the argument false.
========================

Hmmmm, I got a 12"x 37" Lathe and Large Bench Mill, Drill Press, Grinders, Stick/Tig/Mig Welders, CHOP SAW, and recently acquired a CNC 9" x 20" lathe in my Home Garage/Shop. I mainly make parts for myself and a few friends for Free, so less than a Penny. They buy their own material if the project is big.

Attachments