Wanted machinist

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jany77

Hi im looking for someone ,(company or individual ) who can make few parts out of 6061-t6 ,local machinist shops are way out of my budget.

Hephaestus

CNCzone I believe still has a RFQ section.

If it was me that would be my starting point.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Protolabs - a customer of mine uses them quite a bit

Xometry - used them myself. Lots of levels of service, price, location, speed...

If you have a 3D model of what you want to have machined and a basic understanding of tolerancing you can get instant quotes.

This is where the world of part making is going. CAD systems are starting to have buttons in them that direct to these places.

If you don't have a 3D model it is a bit trickier.

How complicated are your parts? Simple 2.5-3D machining? Simple bracket work? I cut aluminum on a CNC router quite a bit. Been surprised what it is capable of.

If you are in the LA basin and you can't find really competitive machining houses you might be in trouble. One offs have always been tough. Due to programming and engineering up front costs.

trimtab

The costs and availability of machine shops in the US have transitioned from difficult to unobtanium in a decade.

I'd recommend mfg.com to get one offs back in your hands from overseas at far lower cost, and possibly faster than you'll even get a call back from an American shop.

I have a complete shop to support our R&D efforts commercially. It pays for itself every R&D cycle almost in full. People doubt that until I show them the numbers. It isn't really possible to be competitive in cost or lead times domestically unless you are able to do it yourself, and that trend is going to only become more apparent in coming years. Dropping availability of talent, lower availability of equipment that isn't oriented towards 24/7/365 ops to remain profitable, greater NRE complexity and costing, higher finance costs, higher investment return expectations, higher rate material costs and lead times, and other factors mean manufacturing will continue to become harder domestically unless one brings it in house.

David L. Downey

several years ago I wanted a custom redrive and a pair of custom wheel hubs with the disk mounting flange integral. I contacted John Penry-Evans (info@aceaviation.co.uk) with Redrives | aceaviation. Kevin Armstrong participates on here often and he connected me with them. while the process was not fast, it was completely satisfying. the parts were machined and anodized i Ooty India and were exactly as designed (I gave them tolerances and dimensional windows/limits). payment was made via wire transfer and shipping was not cheap, but he parts came very well protected in custom quilted bags.
one detail they had swapped the drive pulley taper between 2 pulleys so they remade them at no cost - including the shipping.
I will use them again if the need rises.

geraldmorrissey

I'm in Seattle and went to my local cutting tool retailer and asked them if they had any customers that were "a Bridgeport in a garage" guys. Found a couple of really good machinists that do one offs at bargain rates.
Gerry

Hephaestus

There's plenty of machinist or wannabe machinist in garage shops around the country that will machine parts for pennies over cost of the material so they will have something to do. Just have to find them.
This is why I suggested the cnczone rfq area (albeit long time since I've even looked there).

home/hobby cnc folks go through stages
- do it for beer money
- hobbiest - realize you're loosing your shirt at 'beer money' - so you ballpark hourly rate based off a quoted rate you saw on FB.
- semi pro, i don't like these chinese endmills anymore, semi-accurate knowledge of true cost / hour of operation, start eyeballing setup fees.
- pro - you're pricing in your equipment's replacement cost, know to the penny the budget cost to run per hour, sometimes by time of day, charge setup, engineering, and insurance costs because you've probably had a lesson in liability already.

It's that range where it's an hourly rate, and they're just learning the difference between the 8$ and 240$ endmill that I like to find. Parts may have an imperfect finish, but are to spec.

With power, rent and cost of living in california - I'm not surprised costs are high. Once you get past that semi-pro (where they may have a website that auto-quotes) - they start factoring in machine replacement/upgrades into their hourly cost - and that's where you can't get a reasonable price as a hobbiest.

rv6ejguy

One offs or few quantity runs are always relatively expensive unless you find a hobby machinist who doesn't need to make his living with his machines. If you have a 3D model, it's easier to get online quotes. If no then you'll probably have to pay someone to draft it too.

dwalker

I have a pair of machinists in Colorado that can make anything I want and do so at reasonable costs. One of them is the best machinists I have ever known, loves working in Titanium, and has never given me a bad part.
If you are really stuck, and are willing to pay reasonable (not high and not low) prices then I will be glad to pass on thier information.

dwalker

I'd like their info.
John Frey is the fellow you want to talk to, he has a small private shop out in Berthoud he works out of. I'll check with him in the morning and see if he is accepting new work (he usually is) and PM you his number.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
There's plenty of machinist or wannabe machinist in garage shops around the country that will machine parts for pennies over cost of the material so they will have something to do. Just have to find them.
Hmmm, I'll call your bluff! Prove that statement, and I won't even make you define "plenty". I'll settle for a few. So, list 3 or 4 machinists or "wannabes" in your area who will machine parts for pennies over cost. Qualify that by saying anything more than 99 cents over cost makes the argument false.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I have a pair of machinists in Colorado that can make anything I want and do so at reasonable costs. One of them is the best machinists I have ever known, loves working in Titanium, and has never given me a bad part.
If you are really stuck, and are willing to pay reasonable (not high and not low) prices then I will be glad to pass on thier information.
I visit Colorado a couple of times a year, so I'd like that info, please!