• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Wanted: Graham Super Midget Plans

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

MacAnimal

Seeking plans for the Graham Super Midget Mustang. Any and all information appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Macanimal

nickec

Attachments

nickec

BJC

HBA Supporter
Jim Butler’s retract gear MM, apparently now owned by Nancy Pierce, is (was when I last saw it) an absolutely beautiful E-AB. I don’t recall its being referred to as a Graham Super MM. Of course, the builder of an E-AB can name it anything.

BJC

nickec

"...

Scope and Contents
This collection consists of two photographs and approximately fifty drawings of the Bushby MM-1 Midget Mustang.

Biographical / Historical
The Bushby MM-1 Midget Mustang was designed by Piper chief engineer David Long as a Goodyear Midget Racer. It was intended to be a post World War II sport plane. While that market never developed as planned, the Midget Mustang became very popular with homebuilders and is still much in demand today. There have been four Midget Mustang Oshkosh EAA Grand Champions.

Administration
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Thomas S. Momiyama, Gift, 2005

..."

Conditions Governing Use
Material is subject to Smithsonian Terms of Use. Should you wish to use NASM material in any medium, please submit an Application for Permission to Reproduce NASM Material, available at Permissions Requests.

MacAnimal

Here's what (I think) I know: Nancy Pierce's MM: This was based on Bushby/Mustang Aero plans and designed/modified with RG and folding wings by Jedi-Master metalsmith Jim Butler.
Polen Special: Bob Bushby told me (in person) that the Polen Special was based on MM-1 plans. Conversely, I've been told that Dennis Polen claims it's an original design. In any case, neither airplanes were the "Graham Super Midget" design.
Jim Graham's plans were listed in the 1966 Spring/Summer edition of Air Progress Homebuilt Aircraft magazine (page74). He solicited under his name using a Birmingham, Michigan address, for $80. Whether or not he "provided" (ie: sold any) plans is a question. For whatever reason, the plans were not listed in the 1967 edition.
According to some previous postings on another thread, the Graham had a wider fuselage, longer wings and some other features.
So far, I've only been able to document 2 of these planes (again, I think).
I'll keep digging. The info's out there....................somewhere...

Meanwhile, Thanks to you who replied to my request. I really appreciate it!
Kindest regards,
MacAnimal

Monty

Seeking plans for the Graham Super Midget Mustang. Any and all information appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Macanimal
I have a project and the plans for the Graham Super Midget. I also have the plans for the Bushby MM, and the Nexus Mustang. I've studied the Polen Special extensively. They all share some basic heritage from Bushby.

Keep in mind while reading this the Busby and Graham MM were designed to use a C85. There are some mods made to the current design allowing larger engines. Up to a 0360....Though I would be very careful with the airspeed.

The Polen is probably its own thing. Polen may have based it more on Graham than Bushby, with the fuselage loft changed to work with the cowl off a twin (Piper I think). The Polen wing looks to be the same as Graham, with a continuous spar all the way to the center of the fuselage. the instrument panel bulkhead is attached to the spar, and the entire fuselage/wing is an assembly which cannot be taken apart. This makes transport an issue if the aircraft can't fly. The Graham project I have uses Swift mains for the landing gear and has a fixed tail wheel. Polen has a retract tail wheel, and I believe the same mains. The MM has a center section truss that bolts to each wing so the wings can be removed. These attachments are the structural limitation on the MM. Nothing wrong with them as designed, but mount a bigger engine and you could have issues. I would be leery of a 200 hp MM....The airplane will do 200 mph with an O-200...what more do you want?? I don't know what structural beefing up the Polen has in the wing spar area if any. My numbers show the Graham spar to be plenty strong for larger engines within reason.

The Polen and Graham fuselages are stretched and beefed up VS the MM. More bulkheads and stringers. The fuselage is not an issue for any reasonable engine choice. The real weakpoint of the Graham desing is the tail. The Graham tail structure is similar to the MM. It is more "elegant" in design, but harder to build. I'll note that the Polen suffered tail flutter and had to upgrade to a carbon tail. I've never seen the structure of the Polen tail, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar. The tail is the main structural issue that limits top speed and larger engines should be looked at with a jaundiced eye unless the tail structure is addressed.

The Nexus is the best IMHO. The wings are removable. The center section is from the M2. The fuselage is stretched and beefed up just like Graham and Polen. The loft is fixed. The tail is reinforced and fixed. MUCH stronger tail. More like the RV in design. Designed for larger engines and two people.

You would be far ahead starting with the Nexus and figuring out how to adapt Swift or some other retracts to the design. Get rid of the passenger and you could afford a 6 cyl and its fuel. Much better starting point than either Graham or Bushby.

As always DYOR. None of this is engineering advice, and only my opinion. Assume I'm an insane idiot, and you may not be far off the mark....etc, etc.

I am going to scan the Graham plans eventually. The plans are quite extensive and large format. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm currently beset by many other more pressing projects.

Monty

MacAnimal

I have a project and the plans for the Graham Super Midget. I also have the plans for the Bushby MM, and the Nexus Mustang. I've studied the Polen Special extensively. They all share some basic heritage from Bushby.

Keep in mind while reading this the Busby and Graham MM were designed to use a C85. There are some mods made to the current design allowing larger engines. Up to a 0360....Though I would be very careful with the airspeed.

The Polen is probably its own thing. Polen may have based it more on Graham than Bushby, with the fuselage loft changed to work with the cowl off a twin (Piper I think). The Polen wing looks to be the same as Graham, with a continuous spar all the way to the center of the fuselage. the instrument panel bulkhead is attached to the spar, and the entire fuselage/wing is an assembly which cannot be taken apart. This makes transport an issue if the aircraft can't fly. The Graham project I have uses Swift mains for the landing gear and has a fixed tail wheel. Polen has a retract tail wheel, and I believe the same mains. The MM has a center section truss that bolts to each wing so the wings can be removed. These attachments are the structural limitation on the MM. Nothing wrong with them as designed, but mount a bigger engine and you could have issues. I would be leery of a 200 hp MM....The airplane will do 200 mph with an O-200...what more do you want?? I don't know what structural beefing up the Polen has in the wing spar area if any. My numbers show the Graham spar to be plenty strong for larger engines within reason.

The Polen and Graham fuselages are stretched and beefed up VS the MM. More bulkheads and stringers. The fuselage is not an issue for any reasonable engine choice. The real weakpoint of the Graham desing is the tail. The Graham tail structure is similar to the MM. It is more "elegant" in design, but harder to build. I'll note that the Polen suffered tail flutter and had to upgrade to a carbon tail. I've never seen the structure of the Polen tail, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar. The tail is the main structural issue that limits top speed and larger engines should be looked at with a jaundiced eye unless the tail structure is addressed.

The Nexus is the best IMHO. The wings are removable. The center section is from the M2. The fuselage is stretched and beefed up just like Graham and Polen. The loft is fixed. The tail is reinforced and fixed. MUCH stronger tail. More like the RV in design. Designed for larger engines and two people.

You would be far ahead starting with the Nexus and figuring out how to adapt Swift or some other retracts to the design. Get rid of the passenger and you could afford a 6 cyl and its fuel. Much better starting point than either Graham or Bushby.

As always DYOR. None of this is engineering advice, and only my opinion. Assume I'm an insane idiot, and you may not be far off the mark....etc, etc.

I am going to scan the Graham plans eventually. The plans are quite extensive and large format. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm currently beset by many other more pressing projects.

Monty
Thanks for the reply and insights, Monty. Can I text you? (925) 998-9240.
------MacAnimal

BJC

HBA Supporter
The tail is the main structural issue that limits top speed and larger engines should be looked at with a jaundiced eye unless the tail structure is addressed.
For those interested, there is information about the flutter modes of the Polen. High level summary (slide show) here

BJC

Monty

For those interested, there is information about the flutter modes of the Polen. High level summary (slide show) here

BJC
I read through that presentation. Not really enough info to make a good judgement. Until I see ground vibration and flight test data that confirm frequencies, color me a skeptic. Especially since the future work is to obtain a better structural model.......big red flag there. This is more of a first pass look at the problem.

No real way to know without testing. 28kft on O2, diving to 350 kts and slapping the stick around is not for the faint of heart.

Monty