Wanted Wanted Bede bd5 kit or parts

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
There have been quite a few turbine experimentals, including the BD-5J's.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you really want a jet a SubSonex is probably a more sane choice than a BD-5J, but the Sonex will never look as cool as a BD5.

jlk69

I here you about Facebook. If it wasn't for The BD-5 Facebook group I probably would not do Facebook as well. Might be worth it to break down and join FB just for this group. A lot of good info is available and most anything new pertaining to the BD-5 will be discussed in the group. Most of the current jet pilots post on this group along with the owner of Alturair, a rep of Bede Aero Southeast and a fellow who sells the most updated drive system and parts/info to upgrade older Drive systems.

Last edited:

David Moxley

Log Member
Take two aspirin and lie down until your affliction goes away. :) But seriously, I have played with mine for years and the only way I would get involved in a BD-5 again is if I planned to use a jet engine. Bede-Micro in Oregon https://www.bd-micro.com will install a jet for you but it will cost a bundle. I have looked for documentation about installing the jet on the web and come up empty.

There are kits coming up all the time, still, very few get completed. There are good reasons for that.
I had 5 kits at one time , sold them . I have had a fascination of them ever since 1972 when I saw one of the factory demo pilots flying one in California. Went so far as to build one sitting on the gear. The people that attempt to build and fly these aircraft usually end up dead . There has never been a proven reliable piston powered engine for these , the Honda Civic was the best to date . Most of the people have claims that their Suzuki engine or the Rotax all the way to go none of them have as much time as Keith Henshaw and the Honda engine . The jet Version is the only way to go probably? The only problem with a BD-5 is you are the first one to the Scene of the accident ! Best thing I did was getting rid of them !

Last edited:

daveklingler

There has never been a proven reliable piston powered engine for these , the Honda Civic was the best to date .
Install a Honda Civic engine and you're grossly overweight. The biggest problem with the BD-5 is that it's a rather mild little airplane whose looks tempt people to try to make rather unwise changes, like this one.

The airplane was designed for a Hirth. Bede Micro sets the BD-5B up with a Hirth 3203, which is a very good little engine that meets the original weight and power requirements. Factory recommended TBO is 1000 Hrs. @ 75% power.

Stick to the original specs, and you'll have a nice little airplane. Talk to Bede Micro and/or Alturair, go the Facebook group for support, and don't make major changes to the design.

pfarber

I've got a BD-5 project, but I don't do facebook
Yeah I had that same opinion. But once I found all the MV groups that were WAY more active than any forum I got in touch with resources that would never join a forum because, well, its nowhere near as easy as FB.

No one cares if you act holy than thou and would never 'lower' yourself to use FB. But the cold hard truth is that most of the REALLY, REALLY good stuff is on FB.

Seriously, the hermit gig is not impressing anyone.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Seriously, the hermit gig is not impressing anyone.
I don’t care if you use FB or not, just like I don’t care if you order a Raptor kit or not, but the fact that I choose not to use FB does not make me a hermit.

BJC

kent Ashton

But the cold hard truth is that most of the REALLY, REALLY good stuff is on FB
Do not agree. Yeah, there are some interesting things on the aviation FB sites but (1) FB is filled with newbies that don't know squat, (2) Replies often consist of a lot of one-liners with minimal information such as "contact Jim Jones", (3) nothing is archived and it disappears to the bottom of the feed never to be seen again, (4) replies-to-replies get buried several clicks deep. Who has the patience to follow every one? (5) no one on FB ever sends a link to an old FB post with good information as is often done here on HBA

Sites like HBA allow searching, archiving and encourage lengthy replies. FB is just good for casual chit-chat but it takes attention away from the really useful sites like HBA.

Greg DeKeyser

One on FB i saw:
(Not mine)

pfarber

Sites like HBA allow searching, archiving and encourage lengthy replies. FB is just good for casual chit-chat but it takes attention away from the really useful sites like HBA.
I've seen the HBA website without ad blockers and ghost script running. THIS SITE IS 100000 TIMES WORSE THAN FB.

I've also not gotten my decals from my membership even though I've asked 3 times and offered to pay.

This website without Privacy badger, Ublock, Ghostry, and every Firefox security measure turned on is a giant cesspool. I should have saved a screen cap of the page I got that had a mix of timeshares, Russain Dating and hair loss ads on the forum page.

If you cannot find the smart people on FB, then you are not even trying.

Attachments

Last edited:

alex c

Hi I am looking for a bd5 kit or parts to complete a bd5.I would also be interested in any complete airframes .Shipping would be to Sydney Australia so I understand that there would be an extra charge for crating etc.
I have a bd5 kit that was partially put together, I thought of putting it together but never did, so I have whats probably most parts including long wings, short wings, fuselage, langing gear, canopy, full set of plans etc. let me know if your interested. 915-496-3254