Wanted Wanted Bede bd5 kit or parts

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by lisa, Jan 31, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 31, 2019 #1

lisa

lisa

lisa

Hi I am looking for a bd5 kit or parts to complete a bd5.I would also be interested in any complete airframes .Shipping would be to Sydney Australia so I understand that there would be an extra charge for crating etc.

2. Jan 31, 2019 #2

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

A "site search" on Craigslist will frequently turn up BD-5 parts and pieces, kits, etc. Do a Google search for < bd-5 site:craigslist.org >, and another one for < bd5 site:craigslist.org >

3. Jan 31, 2019 #3

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

There is currently one listed on eBay. Check out Delta's 'eBay Today' thread.

4. Jan 31, 2019 #4

delta

delta

delta

5. Feb 1, 2019 #5

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

Take two aspirin and lie down until your affliction goes away. :) But seriously, I have played with mine for years and the only way I would get involved in a BD-5 again is if I planned to use a jet engine. Bede-Micro in Oregon https://www.bd-micro.com will install a jet for you but it will cost a bundle. I have looked for documentation about installing the jet on the web and come up empty.

There are kits coming up all the time, still, very few get completed. There are good reasons for that.

6. Feb 1, 2019 #6

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

7. Feb 2, 2019 #7

lisa

lisa

lisa

Thanks for the reply,
    it does seem that few of them are getting built we did have one or two flying in Australia,I was hoping to get at least a semi completed plane but not having much luck due to shipping issues i.e not wanting to ship overseas due to complexity or because of cost on my behalf.You are spot on about the cost of a turbojet engine so I am limited to a small two stroke etc.I will keep the add up and see how it goes anyway.

8. Feb 2, 2019 #8

lisa

lisa

lisa

Thanks for the reply
    Where is this kit located,do you have any more info etc

9. Feb 2, 2019 #9

lisa

lisa

lisa

Hi
    I’ve already contacted this seller,waiting on shipping quote,I appreciate the info
    Thanks

10. Feb 2, 2019 #10

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

My friend, I am 71 and been involved with BD-5 since I was a butter-bar Lieutenant. Two-stroke engines are the worst--hard to cool inside the fuselage and prone to seizing--and this in an airplane that lands fast, will shear the wheels off in a heartbeat and offers no crash protection (see pic) https://www.abc.net.au/news/2007-05-25/pilot-thanks-rescuers-after-plane-crash/2558850

I could write a whole page on the crashes I've read about over the years and why "few of them are getting built" but I will just attach a PDF by someone familiar with ONE of the problems with the famous BD-5
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2007-05-25/pilot-thanks-rescuers-after-plane-crash/2558850

If you can't afford the jet, don't waste your time.

Attached Files:

MadRocketScientist likes this.
  11. Feb 4, 2019 #11

lisa

lisa

lisa

Thanks for the advice Kent,it doesn’t look like I’m having much luck anyway in sourcing a kit with all parts or a complete fuselage etc,I read the attachment and it does make sense that vibration would be an issue,but I wonder how mini imp overcame that.either way I thought I would try my luck.I wish they still made kits for the bolkow junior,malmo mfi9

12. Feb 4, 2019 #12

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

Taylor used a Dodge Flexidyne coupling (as did Ed Lesher on the Nomad and Teal). There's a fair amount of information on the web about it. Not sure that a suitable one is still available.

13. Feb 4, 2019 #13

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

The kits were never complete to begin with. I bought preliminary blueprints for the drive system but those plans were not included in the kits (and neither were the drive parts). Jerry Kauth (deceased) used to make the drive system but I don't think anyone makes it now. In those days, the FAA wanted builders to make many pieces that Van's Aircraft would sell today already stamped-out, formed, and pre-drilled. There are just better alternatives.

I had Mini-Imp plans too. :-( It was also a complex, poorly supported design. There are reasons why these airplanes were never popular. Cool, yes, but few completed.

How about a Midget Mustang--very conventional construction and engine with about the same performance as the BD and decent kit support. Good coolness-factor although a bit short of the BD. But really, single place airplanes are just toys. The fun is in flying with friends and giving rides.

A Long-ez is easy to build, has a good coolness-factor, can carry a friend and fly 1000 miles. All the parts are still available, plans are in the public domain (sort of) and there is good internet support. Google "Open-ez"

14. Feb 4, 2019 #14

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

So funny enough my dad a few years ago took possession of a mostly complete BD-5 kit (including the original Hirth engine) with essentially every part minus the oh-so-important driveshaft assembly. It sits because we have no intention of throwing either a Hirth or a driveshaft into the thing. (Also because we have more projects than brains, but that's another problem.)

Right now it's a 50/50 tossup between trying to eventually go electric with it (maybe with the help of some ambitious electrical wiz, or a college, mostly as an exercise in 'what if' more than pragmatism); and waiting to maybe score the proper jet engine and do whatever is required to set it up properly for that configuration.

I don't think we'd be in a position to sell sadly, but I see that fuselage sitting there and go "it's a darn shame that thing isn't a flying bird after all the work that went into it. And it's a darn good thing I'm not going to have to fly it anytime soon."

15. Feb 4, 2019 #15

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

16. Feb 4, 2019 #16

BJC

BJC

BJC

Trying, unsuccessfully, to envision a BD-5 with a Verner.

BJC

ScaleBirdsScott likes this.
  17. Feb 4, 2019 #17

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

It's funny how the BD5 fuselage is, with not much work, a pretty useful cockpit for a completely new application.

I've thought for cases where one isn't destined for the air in any case, it might make a nice starting point for someone's flight sim cockpit in their garage/hanger.

As for a radial powered one, I don't see many options there either, nor do I want to give it much thought less some element of it burn into my mind and take residence.

BJC likes this.
  18. Feb 5, 2019 #18

TFF

TFF

TFF

It would have to be water cooled two stroke. I would not do any Aircooled one. When they came out , the kit was wonderful; today it's almost a suggestion. The only part the average builder could not make would be the spar carry through. BD5s are very labor intensive to do right; I don't think many that are sitting around are good as is; I bet they need to be disassembled to the last rivet, especially if they used the pop rivets it came with. It would be fun to have in the end, thought. Anyone build a fixed gear one?

19. Feb 5, 2019 #19

lr27

lr27

lr27

Seems like that torsional vibration article provides a recipe for making the drive system work, though of course one would still have to have a certain amount of engineering expertise to make it work. It would still be a significant project, I guess. Maybe the best approach would be to hire an industrial spy/archelogist to recover the original design details of the solution that finally worked. One would still have to figure out how to keep an engine happy in that space. Maybe liquid cooled? Probably would need to have as many pistons as the Hirth, or else an even more torsionally compliant driveshaft. Maybe use smaller 4130 tubing instead of aluminum?

Not clear that the coolness factor is high enough to justify all this. Maybe it would be better to send the archaeologist after info on the AR-5.

20. Feb 5, 2019 #20

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I think the engine could be fitted in the tail with direct drive with a Rotax 582 ( no drive shaft like the Predator drone, or Prescott Pusher)
    The pilot might need to move forward some.