Wanted :186 cu in, Radial Y ; (30 hp) @ 1,300 rpm -- !

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tiger Tim

How 'bout a 5 or 7 cylinder radial using O-200 cylinders? Paging Pete Plumb... :)
An R-250 or R-350 sounds cool! You’d likely have to turn the cylinders 90° to the airflow from how Continental did it but come to think of it that may be the way air is supposed to pass over the fins anyways.

Bille Floyd

The VM R5-420 radial , is 420cc , but only puts out 25 hp ; i
would have thought it could have put out more hp ?

Bille

crusty old aviator

Building one requires a LOT of machining. If someone is VERY serious about building one, I have Jack’s email address that I can PM, but he’s too busy to interact with the merely curious and tire kickers. He sells plans only now...though I’m not sure if he’s still doing that. They were around $200. If you want to use cylinders other than VW, I advise you to study up on radial engine design & theory and design & build one using those cylinders instead of trying to adapt Jack’s designs. I, too, pondered designing & building a 75hp 3-cylinder radial, using 0-200 pistons & cylinders, as a substitute for a Lawrance L-3, but life kept getting in the way and I moved on.

crusty old aviator

The VM R5-420 radial , is 420cc , but only puts out 25 hp ; i
would have thought it could have put out more hp ?
At 4500 rpm? It would need a PSRU, which would dramatically increase your torque, unless you’re putting it on something really tiny, like a later Davis single place.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Building one requires a LOT of machining. If someone is VERY serious about building one, I have Jack’s email address that I can PM, but he’s too busy to interact with the merely curious and tire kickers. He sells plans only now...though I’m not sure if he’s still doing that. They were around $200. If you want to use cylinders other than VW, I advise you to study up on radial engine design & theory and design & build one using those cylinders instead of trying to adapt Jack’s designs. I, too, pondered designing & building a 75hp 3-cylinder radial, using 0-200 pistons & cylinders, as a substitute for a Lawrance L-3, but life kept getting in the way and I moved on.
Hello Crusty,

If you have Jacks email, I would like to contact him for plans if he is still selling them. I just bought a Tormach 1100 and it would be a fun project. If needed have access to a larger mill for larger parts. Feel free to PM me his email if you don't want to post it publicly.

Thank you,

Marc

Group Builder