Want to learn by helping builder in Bay Area California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rujul, Oct 25, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 25, 2019 #1

Rujul

Rujul

Rujul

Hello all. I know nothing about aircraft building but I want to learn. I'll be in Bay area, California till mid December and want to learn about aircraft building process by helping someone. Let me know if I anyone is building an aircraft in Bay area and nearby and need help.

2. Oct 25, 2019 #2

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Super Moderator Staff Member

I suspect that your single best move is to look up EAA chapters near you, call the president, tell him/her what you have told us, and ask for folks who are building you could visit or learn from.

3. Oct 25, 2019 #3

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I agree with Bill above... look up an EAA chapter. Mid December doesn’t give you much time to learn, considering that builds often take lots of years to complete.

What part of the Bay Area will you be in? Not all EAA chapters are equally active. If you are anywhere near Watsonville, their chapter is one of the more active ones in the area.

You might also consider volunteering on or observing a restoration at a museum (like the Hiller museum in San Carlos). You might also search out aircraft maintenance shops, A&P schools, or manufacturers (Icon Aircraft is not to far away in Vacaville). I’m not sure if they are still active in the Bay Area, but you can also search for Cobalt Aircraft (building the Valkyrie). Crop duster shops do a lot of maintainence and repair too. I know there is a shop in Salinas that does that kind of work.