Want just ignition control for Renesis

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Peterson

I am wanting to build up a peripheral intake/side exhaust Renesis with a Holley 500cfm carb. Thinking on building a simple fiberglass tube intake manifold to help keep the carb cool (plenty of exhaust/oil heat for preventing carb ice). 2 stage exhaust via tangential muffler feeding into short charge air coaxial muffler.

What are good ignition systems to use for Renesis engines? Since going carb and non-emission exhaust, I won't really need the original ECU. Would it be hard to use a hall effect crank angle sensor to trigger an MSD/Crane/Mazsport ignition module? Thinking one coil each for the trailing plugs, with the leading plugs sharing a coil and firing a waste spark similar to the 2nd and 3rd generation RX7s.

Never scratch built an ignition before, but it seems that as long as there's a trigger and a module to saturate the coil a system could be built.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Look on Contact! Magazines website in the "back issues" section. You might find an old issue which has just what you want.

Peterson

Are you in the rotary engine mailgroup?
yes, posted this question there also. I did find an answer though-will require 3 ignition modules for a waste spark distributor less ignition (one each trailing, one for both leading plugs).

Latest posts

Group Builder