Waiex first start

Discussion in 'Completions' started by FritzW, Jul 23, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 23, 2017 #1

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

It's not really a "completion" but it's a milestone. This morning we started the 'ol Revmaster for the first time. (if you want to get the cold shoulder from Sonex just put a Revmaster on a Sonex product :gig:).

I'll be glad when the Waiex is finished and out of my hair so I can get back to work on my own projects ;).

Waiex First Start.jpg She lit right off and and ran like a Singer sewing machine. ...gotta love them Revmasters.

BJC, Tiger Tim, Autodidact and 6 others like this.
  2. Jul 23, 2017 #2

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

You'll be hearing from our Lawyers.

John Monnet.

clanon, FritzW and Hephaestus like this.
  3. Jul 23, 2017 #3

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Man, that is one messed-up prop... I think you need to get your money back! I can't imagine how rough it runs...

;)

MadRocketScientist, clanon and FritzW like this.
  4. Jul 23, 2017 #4

TFF

TFF

TFF

It's the warp field generators

clanon and FritzW like this.
  5. Jul 23, 2017 #5

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

That's just how much they flex when you unleash the raw horsepower of the mighty VW ;)

The prop is a "one off" that Sensenich made for us. The hub tapers from the Revmaster SAE 1 hub down to Sonex's crushplate/spinner for the Jabiru 3300 (VW blades on a 3300 hub). It's a typical Sensenich work of art. ...them boys know how to make propellers!

gtae07, cheapracer and clanon like this.
  6. Aug 1, 2017 #6

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

maybe you said somewhere else, but is there a back story to building this, and are you the only skilled one in the chapter? Or did you really want to build it.

7. Aug 1, 2017 #7

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

It's a chapter build and I'm the "build coordinator" but we have no shortage of skilled builders in the chapters (more than 100 years of E-AB building experience just in the photo).

You can't swing a dead cat in the chapter without hitting a retired NASA or WSMR engineer. Which isn't necessarily a good thing. ie. instead of just plugging in the fracken EFIS and seeing if the fracken thing works we had to put it on the fracken test bench for 3 months and test every fracken function, even the ones we'll never use. ...because that's the way they did on the Apollo program. (NASA couldn't build something as simple as a Volksplane if their life depended on it :gig:)

If we had 10 years to build the airplane it would be great but buy the time the rest of the kit showed up we only had one year to do it.

The airplane is part of the EAA Give Flight program. EAA national gave 5 chapters a set of wings that were built at OSH 2015 (HBA's Wayne is in the program, his guys successfully built a 750). We were supposed to get the airplane built and fly it to OSH this year.

The bottom line is: I said we could we could do it and we couldn't. My bust, but I'll get over it ;)

cheapracer likes this.
  8. Aug 1, 2017 #8

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

I had an old man friend that was retired....when visiting one day, he showed me the hinge he made for his shed door. I am quickly getting there myself.