1 pillow block done. Will mount one on each side of the seat back just above the aft spar(remember plane is currently upside down so aft spar is visible at top of pic). There will be cutouts on the outboard side of each pillow block for the arms on the torque tube.
As a side note one of the chapter members showed me his Glasair III yesterday and i noticed the piano hinge on the rudder which allows the pushrod to remain inside the aircraft. I'd been wondering how to nicely fair in the rudder control horn on my bird (hinges use rod end bearings)and had a workable solution but not very elegant. Fortunately the piano hinge geometry works without major modification.
Whenever i have to make more than one of something i generally manage to make the first one okay then flub up the next 1 or in this case 2 and then get the next one right. Burning phenolic sure stinks. So now there are 2 pillow blocks, and as you can see that's kinda how the flap torque tube is going to look.
Who knew you could buy airplane parts from Wal-Mart. Com? A member of my EAA chapter who is building a cozy put me on to Igus bearings which he is using for his control system. Just having my phone for internet makes it hard to browse some websites and i couldn't find a place tho actually order what i wanted so i googled distributors and Wal-Mart popped up, so i figured if Wal-Mart sells them Amazon should to and they do but for a lot more money, and for some reason shipping to my location is impossible for Amazon on some items so Wal-Mart got my money ($15 less for the parts and shipping than Amazon).
From my March 18 post you'll remember that i decided to go with a piano hinge on my rudder so i pulled the spars off the piece of foam for the vertical stab and removed all the associated hardware and sanded off all ply pads they were mounted on. I must admit when i started this project i wasn't as concerned about weight as i should have been and was semi tempted to leave the inaccessible parts buried instead of ripping it apart to get them out. I'm getting there though.
One of my mistakes was gluing the shear web for the vertical stab to the foam before bonding the spar caps to it. Well i ripped it off sanded it smooth and cut out the spar caps tonight. Most of the load from from the tailwheel also gets dumped into the incorporated bulkhead and the reinforcement is shown sitting on the bulkhead portion (isn't yet bonded on). The squarish piece of ply is the pad for the elevator hinges that mount to the aft side of the bulkhead. The horizontal stab itself mounts to the front of the bulkhead/ spar, so a lot going on with these parts.
Christmas in March! My radio; a Becker AR 3201 with wiring harness for power, headset jacks, and ptt came today.
1 lb 12.2 oz. That's pretty light and a nice small package. With the wiring harness and shipping that's the whole comm system for $365!
Above are my stick grip and throttle handle. The stick grip is from my old Microsoft sidewinder joystick. I was kinda sad when it crapped out about 2 years ago but i love the ergonomics and so it's going in my plane. None of the buttons will be functional but that's fine, less complexity. On the bottom is the stock pistol grip from my Ar15 which will be my throttle handle and also will be where i mount the ptt for the radio.
I'll have to drill out that hole a little to get the switch to fit through then fab a plate to go over the end of the pistol grip for the switch to mount to.
Also received some Igus bearings today for the control stick mixer and elevator pushrod.
I started a thread on them here. The 2 larger ones will go on the front and back of the main spar to hold the control stick mixer and the smaller one will have one of the elevator pushrods going through it.
Just noticed my name in the face on a milk carton thread with a request for an update.
Ive known for quite some time that my flying skills weren't up to snuff for this plane when it got finished and ive been itching to fly so i was looking for something cheap to get some experience in and scratch the itch. Then i found Trent Palmer :
and decided i wanted a kitfox So i found one in my price range and bought it. Overall it was a solid airframe but i got taken a little on it and although I was told it was an airworthy airplane it wasn't. Me being me I couldn't resist going to town on it. Good thing i like building things. It might be a year or 2 before it flies as I'm doing a lot of work on it. Obviously the original subject of this thread is indefinitely backed burnered. Also i find my mission has changed. Like most young men i liked speed and charging around with my hair on fire. Now that I'm within spitting distance of forty low and slow back country flying is what i find myself dreaming of. So the future of the Spitsairwolfstang is in question.
In addition I find that I don't enjoy the forum very much anymore and am not sure i have anything useful to contribute. Maybe when the kitfox is flying I'll post a short write up on it but until then expect me to only ghost through. Internet time detracts from airplane work time.