Quantcast

W10 Tailwind V8 powered

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Fly-Tailwind

I had an Audi V-8 with 217 cubic inches. What is the bore and stroke of your engine? Do you get steam pockets in the inverted position? Sounds like a good engine. Pics please.
Hi pie_row,

sorry this took so long, but I could not find my info sheet right away.. 265 is bore 3.5 + .030 over. Stroke of Buick 300 crank is 3.4...

Bill R.....

Fly-Tailwind

I guess most problems with car conversions are the combination of the above two sentences; "doing it right" is often a lot harder than many folks think, especially if you're heading for a PSRU.

That's so great about living in these times; you can literally benefit from the knowledge of the whole world.

15C roughly, but it's been over 25 mostly over the last couple of weeks (60-80+ F) With the Gulfstream, the weather isn't that bad here usually; just lots of rain when you don't want it...
Isn't that the truth, 1/3 of my runway is under water, HUG, Air pics of ND looks like there is more water then land. Low places in the fields, we call them pot holes, maybe 100 meters roughly around and some are much bigger. roads under water.. It's a mess.

Yes on PSRU, and heavy. I built one using high velocity chain and aluminum case... Shoot, **** thing weighted 73lbs. Never used it... Been thinking of a totally different way to try it... Never enough time.... OH well...

Bill R......

Fly-Tailwind

I guess most problems with car conversions are the combination of the above two sentences; "doing it right" is often a lot harder than many folks think, especially if you're heading for a PSRU.

That's so great about living in these times; you can literally benefit from the knowledge of the whole world.

15C roughly, but it's been over 25 mostly over the last couple of weeks (60-80+ F) With the Gulfstream, the weather isn't that bad here usually; just lots of rain when you don't want it...
Ok how did you put three quotes and answers all in one like that????? MSG # 40 ..

Bill R....

Autodidact

Ok how did you put three quotes and answers all in one like that?????
Bill, in "Go Advanced" you can pick the text "bubble" just to the left of the "#" sign after you have highlighted some text and it will put quotes around it; just copy & paste some text, then highlight it and then pick the "text bubble" icon and wa la!

And thanks for those pics, it LOOKS pretty simple anyway!

Is the reason for the long block to offset the float bowl for clearance? I.e., the carb body is now upside down? If the carb was mounted to a tubular manifold instead of the car type would there not need to be an offset?

autoreply

Isn't that the truth, 1/3 of my runway is under water, HUG, Air pics of ND looks like there is more water then land. Low places in the fields, we call them pot holes, maybe 100 meters roughly around and some are much bigger. roads under water.. It's a mess.
Hire some Dutch expertise, we're arguably one of the most experienced water-managers, 2/3rd of the population lives below sea level and most rivers run several feet above the neighboring lands, roads and houses ;)
Yes on PSRU, and heavy. I built one using high velocity chain and aluminum case... Shoot, **** thing weighted 73lbs. Never used it... Been thinking of a totally different way to try it... Never enough time.... OH well...
Simplicity is key I guess, despite my design choice for the Rotax. Better to derate your engine and run it directly and throw out everything that's not absolutely necessary.
Ok how did you put three quotes and answers all in one like that????? MSG # 40 ..

Bill R....
HBA uses code for those kind of things, looks a bit like HTML. You can follow AD's suggestions, or just type it in by hand.

[ quote ] quoted text [/ quote ]

without the spaces gives that result :)

Fly-Tailwind

OK here is something to think about as far as gas pooling on cold start up. Install a pickup tube from the point where the gas pools and run it to a point in the induction that has high enough velocity to keep the fuel in suspension and moving. What about having a heated elbow, just run a heater core size water line to the elbow and it should help with warm up as well. Just thinking.
Ok, see if this Works, Anyway on the above, I tried that, so so, But I came up with a BOX with two compartments 1.5 inches tall, that bolted to the manifold ( 4bbl ) and the carb bolted to that. turbo fed the back compartment and the carb into the front which fed the intake of the turbo. The front compartment had two small holes in the bottom which fed right into the front two bbl of the intake. NO puddles. The turbo boost fed into the 4bbl manifolds back two holes... This probably makes no sense.. If anybody cares I will have to make a pic..

Bill R..... Well, it worked....

Fly-Tailwind

Pix would be nice, are you letting high pressure air go back into the low pressure side of the turbo?
OK, Here is a quick sketch of the adapter box I used to put turbos on V8s. The little hole in the pri let the pooling gas drip into the engine... Yes some boost pressure I guess went back through the bleed hole, but I could not tell any difference. With a car you couldn't stay on the throttle very long anyway, be over a 100mph. Steady state with an aircraft???? don't think it would make any diff though..

Bill R.....
IMG_0288.jpg

Fly-Tailwind

Cooling Mods to Block. I for got this. With the block inverted, there needs to be vent lines added to keep air from being trapped. On the 215 the two block drains are connecter to the header tank. There needs to be some holes drilled and tapped in the heads in a water passage near the exhaust valve in two places on each head. These also go to the header tank. Just look for places where air can not get up and out. Also on the 215 there is a place on the top front of the intake manifold that looks like it could trap air. As the engine hangs on the plane. Also run a good brass thermostat in the cooling system. People will give you all kinds of reasons as way not to, BUT it works much better with it. I have been both ways, :depressed... Their is a long winded reason way if anyone wants to know.

Bill R......

Autodidact

There is a long winded reason way if anyone wants to know.
Hello, Fly-Tailwind, stol has explained that he runs a "washer" with an aperture sized for the correct amount of coolant flow and said that it took some trial and error to get the size of the hole correct. No moving parts would obviously be more reliable, at least in one sense. Why do you prefer to run the thermostat as opposed to a flow restrictor (washer)?

Fly-Tailwind

Hello, Fly-Tailwind, stol has explained that he runs a "washer" with an aperture sized for the correct amount of coolant flow and said that it took some trial and error to get the size of the hole correct. No moving parts would obviously be more reliable, at least in one sense. Why do you prefer to run the thermostat as opposed to a flow restrictor (washer)?
Hi Auto, Well for one thing, you never know what the out side temp is going to be. 2. the engine warms up faster with a thermostat and keeps it at a constant temp, This keeps the intake warm to help vaporize the fuel mixture. 3. All engine run best at a constant temp, 4. gets the oil up to temp and and keeps it there to dry out any moisture in it.. I know, everybody is worried that they will stick closed, They are more pron to stick open, Besides, if it does stick shut, you well see it on start and warm up. I have never, that I can remember, had a thermostat stick shut. open yes. And you said it, flow RESTRICTOR. It's either too much or not enough, but seldom right.... Hot day on climb out !!!!!!! Oh an edit, I also run 100% Preston. It was made for aircraft liquid engines way back before WW-II.. Yeah I know, this will get a lot of OH NOs !!!!!

Bill R.......

Last edited:

pie_row

Hi Auto, Well for one thing, you never know what the out side temp is going to be. 2. the engine warms up faster with a thermostat and keeps it at a constant temp, This keeps the intake warm to help vaporize the fuel mixture. 3. All engine run best at a constant temp, 4. gets the oil up to temp and and keeps it there to dry out any moisture in it.. I know, everybody is worried that they will stick closed, They are more pron to stick open, Besides, if it does stick shut, you well see it on start and warm up. I have never, that I can remember, had a thermostat stick shut. open yes. And you said it, flow RESTRICTOR. It's either too much or not enough, but seldom right.... Hot day on climb out !!!!!!!
On the subject of cooling drag, cooling system design, if you look at the radiator as a ram jet what you want is the lowest possible pressure drop and to heat the air going through the duct to the highest possible temp. Full ram pressure recovery goes without saying. These requirements tend to drive to an oversized radiator with a variable cooling air outlet. The cooling air outlet should be thermostatically controlled.
Oh an edit, I also run 100% Preston. It was made for aircraft liquid engines way back before WW-II.. Yeah I know, this will get a lot of OH NOs !!!!!

Bill R.......
OH NOS indeed. NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems from NOS Wizard It makes a good anti-detonant power booster.

P.S. thanks for the pix

Fly-Tailwind

Your coolant mixture % is what? Straight Prestone antifreeze/coolant or straight 50/50 premix water/antifreeze stuff?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Stol, Yes you read that right, 100% straight Preston, No water... I do the same in my 91 pickup, Have since it was new.. I know there is all kinds of product makers that have 10 thousand reasons why this is bad, and to get the best possible cooling efficiency you must use our stuff. And this will make you all think I am nuts, I don't CHANGE it either. Yes it still passes all the PH tests. The dealer keeps testing to prove that it can't be and it always passes. ( the pickup )...

Anyway it's been working for years, so as somebody said, if it ain't broke....

I have spent a lot of money over the years, trying all that WAHOO cooling stuff... Plain old water maybe has a few % better cooling efficiency, but you know the trouble with that..

Bill R......

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Looks good Bill. Just wondering, has the Gatorade bottle (overflow reservoir) been vetted at the fluid and air temperatures it is likely to see?

Bruce :)

pie_row

Looks good Bill. Just wondering, has the Gatorade bottle (overflow reservoir) been vetted at the fluid and air temperatures it is likely to see?

Bruce :)
He posted earlier that it has been in service for some time so it has passed the "it works for some time" test.