VW type 4 camshaft

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by DavidGr, May 18, 2009.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 18, 2009 #1

DavidGr

DavidGr

DavidGr

Hello all,

Does any of you have a source for a camshaft to suit a type 4 VW engine. I am looking to buy one that is ground to allow the power curve to come in earlier.

Thanks,

David

2. May 18, 2009 #2

wally

wally

wally

3. May 18, 2009 #3

DavidGr

DavidGr

DavidGr

Thanks for the info Wally, i checked and they have nothing stock.

Others sent me to shops where they wanted a minimum of 1100USD and up to 3000USD to custom grind one. Sorry, but there is not that much work in grinding a cam where the profile sits in a CNC machine.

I think the cost to fly with the VW for the HP we need is too high and ready built and ready to fly Corvair engines are lower cost and less stressed. The 5th bearing addition offered by many would save us build a housing of our own.

Regards,

David

4. May 18, 2009 #4

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

The Type IV engine is not the engine of choice by most using VW aircooled engines, instead they use the Type I, for which part's and custom crank's, cam', barrel's, head's and fuel delievery system's are abundant. Also new case's are abundant. I'll not say anything negative about the Corvair, but your selling the VW short.

Topaz likes this.
  5. May 18, 2009 #5

jumpinjan

jumpinjan

jumpinjan

David,
    You are correct, that's insane prices for regrinding a cam.
    Here's a good tip, talk to Delta Delta Camshaft
    I been using them for many, many years and they are the best in quality workmanship & price.
    Also, to increase lower end torque, I think the cam timing is retarded (I think thats correct) with an off-set sprocket key.
    Jan

6. May 20, 2009 #6

DavidGr

DavidGr

DavidGr

The type 4 engine is stronger than the type 1 and has far less seen in machine shops for line boring. It was the last air cooled engine development by VW and the heads from the 2.0l model show they flow better as well. The thing that concerns me most is trying to shed 100HP from the heads wont happen fast enough and the engine will over heat.

I note from the Great Plains website they state in direct drive 80HP max for take off. So they too must have found reason to reduce HP for cruise. For our application 120HP is ideal and I cannot see any VW engine shedding that heat no matter how fancy you get with ducts and heads. The fin area is just not there in my opinion.

Thanks for the cam link Jan, I will look more into the Corvair engine before going back to the VW. The cost to build a VW to 120HP reliably vs the Corvair is a lot more, and the heat problem is just not there with the corvair and it has been flying with 120HP for a long time now.

As with any auto engine conversion it has to get additional support for prop loads. Otherwise the ground wishes to see you urgently when the crank breaks. Anyone know of sources for Corvair donor engines?

Regards,

David

7. May 22, 2009 #7

DavidGr

DavidGr

DavidGr

Jan,

Scott at Deltacam has been a great guy, easy to deal with a low cost, much lower than the other places. I gave him some dyno charts and he thinks I can get the HP I want at the lower RPM. A new guy approached us and is willign to machine new heads for us. This would make the VW attractive again.

Many thanks for the link.

David

8. Sep 17, 2012 #8

ddoi

ddoi

ddoi

9. Sep 17, 2012 #9

revkev6

revkev6

revkev6

no possible way you are going to get 100hp out of a vw without valvtrain issues. only way would be to watercool the heads which has been done. I've always wondered what a 2.8 liter motor would do with an aftermarket aluminum case and watercooled aftermarket autocraft heads.