VW Travel Tool Kit

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by 103, Oct 13, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 13, 2019 #1

I found a neat 0.15/0.2mm feeler gauge that is small al light weight. I have settled on setting all valves intake and Exhaust @ 0.006" or in German 0.15mm

Tappet go No-go guage .jpeg

My source

As I approach cross country training and travel I will make a flat pack with two valve cover gaskets. My new Gauge and a stubby Flat Screw Driver and 10,13,15mm combination box wrenches. Short of pulling the heads most items can be addressed with these few tools. Let me know if you have any more minimum set suggestions I want to keep is small and low weight.

Matt

2. Oct 13, 2019 #2

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Save even more weight and leave the feeler gauge at home. Just turn the adjusting screw in until it touches the valve stem - by feel - then back off 1 flat on the nut (.00656"). Done....and often more accurate than using the feeler gauge as well.

Pops likes this.
  3. Oct 13, 2019 #3

Pops

Pops

Pops

I like to carry the spark plug socket that came in the VW . Use your screwdriver in holes to turn. Have a little chain that hangs on the carb heat knob with a .006 feeler gauge , small 4130 tool to adjust the tail wires, round type of spark plug gauge.

4. Oct 13, 2019 #4

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

I made a little 4130 wrench with a knife edge that I used to carry in the VP. The brakes didn't have reservoirs and I worried (real or imagined) that an air bubble could get in the system at altitude and expand on the way down and lock a brake up.

I always checked the brakes before landing to make sure they felt right. If they ever gave me problems (they never did) I could loosen the bleeder nut. If that failed I could cut the brake like with the knife edge.

After a while I realized it wasn't going to be a problem but I kept the wrench for sentimental reasons.

20191012_205926_resized.jpg

5. Oct 13, 2019 #5

N804RV

N804RV

N804RV

I was thinking the reason you're most likely to need to futz with the valve adjusters on a VW powered cross country, (and not need a whole engine shop and a full tool box) is probably a damaged pushrod tube. Why not get your intended style of on-the-road-emergency replacement tube and stick your feeler guage and maybe a magneto timing pin inside it and toss it in your go bag along with the socket set, wrenches, torque wrench, safety wire, pliers and screw drivers you're gonna need anyway?

6. Oct 13, 2019 #6

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

From my miss spent youth days working on VW's the 10,13,15,17mm set fitted everything on them but the pulley bolt & gland nut.

7. Oct 14, 2019 #7

That is a cool technique I will need do a R&R study on it in my shop.
    When I wiggle them I can predict which ones are dead on.

8. Oct 23, 2019 #8

I have not mastered the single turn back off HotWing method above but it is the lightest method I could leave my new gauge behind...

The gauge is slick in action combined with a short 13mm box and a stubby screw driver I can rest the wrench on top of my right hand then operate it with my left hand when the proper drag is achieved on the 0.15mm gauge. This never happened with the weight of my full gauge set. Since the picture was taken I have added some yellow paint to help identify the target end in low light. Currently waiting on a new 94mm cylinder from Scott Casler I will hopefully slay my last oil leak this weekend. I like a bone dry engine compartment as not to mask other issue if they present.
    Guage in action.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  9. Oct 23, 2019 #9

Pops

Pops

Pops

I see by the space nut on the rocker arm shaft that you are using the cast aluminum valve cover pans. Stock steel valve cover pans will cool the oil more and are much lighter in weight. Light coat of black paint.

Topaz likes this.
  10. Oct 23, 2019 #10

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

+1. I replaced the cast valve covers on my VW. The stock steel covers and bales weigh 1 lb. less than the cast covers and hardware. The stock covers also don't have bolt holes through the top that leak.

Pops likes this.
  11. Oct 23, 2019 #11

Pops

Pops

Pops

I have set of the Aluminum valve covers if anyone wants them. If you want shiny, you can buy the Stainless pans, but believe the factory stock black will cool a little better.

12. Oct 24, 2019 #12

I have a set too the post are residuals that came with the plane. I bought refurbished german steel tins and had them painted black to replace the cast units. Steel is Lighter and cooler! Took the word of the other Bob Hoover :)

Pops likes this.
  13. Oct 24, 2019 #13

Pops

Pops

Pops

I think you have the best performing VW powered 2 place airplane on the market. Light weight, large wing area for low wing loading for a good climb and low enough drag for a nice cruise speed. An all around, hard to beat, 2 place, VW powered airplane. Have fun flying it.

Added-- I also like the looks.

103 likes this.
  14. Oct 24, 2019 #14

N804RV

N804RV

N804RV

Hmm... I have a set that look like the OEM steel. But, are modified with the posts and through bolts. The heads are painted flat black. But, the valve covers are painted the same gold as the engine case.

I didn't build the engines. So, I don't know the source of those valve covers. It seems to work well though!

[​IMG]

15. Oct 24, 2019 #15

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

What plane is it?

16. Oct 24, 2019 #16

Pops

Pops

Pops

17. Oct 25, 2019 #17

Yes it does look good. Built in 1987 by a master craftsmen Zig Berzins. Paint is getting tired but the build quality was so high it transcends age well. Good looking and flies better than it looks. The design is under appreciated in our land of cheap fuel. About 100 in Europe and 20 in the US and 20 in Australia. The US needs to build the fleet up over 100. It is a honor to be the care taker of Zig's old Girl now sporting US registration NX237F
    NX237F.JPG

Attached Files:

Vigilant1 and Pops like this.