VW possibilities

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by daniedo, Jul 20, 2003.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 20, 2003 #1

daniedo

daniedo

daniedo

I've noticed aircooled vw's are limited to 4 cylinders and around 80 - 100 HP. Why not design a 6, or 8 cylinder engine using as much stock parts as possible? Has anyone tried something like this?

2. Jul 30, 2003 #2

mogren

mogren

mogren

You could stack the engines but the prop drive is marginal at 100 hp as it is now. Needs a larger prop drive system to put any more power thru it. IMHO. MM

3. Nov 7, 2006 #3

Four Winds

Four Winds

Four Winds

6 cyl VW

While I don't avidly follow this topic, there are several people who have done good work in the last few years putting VW cylinders on the corvair 6 cylinder block. This reduces the weight and they seem to be getting good results. As always, it would be up to you to judge the suitability for you application. One place to look for info on this topic is: http://www.flycorvair.com/

4. Jul 13, 2007 #4

gahan

gahan

gahan

afternoon all, it's been a while since anyone has forwarded anything to this thread, I was in total agreement with the amount of horse power you can shove through the crankshaft ,howerer while doing some of my best contemplation, reviewing a kitplanes mag.July 1992, I happened upon a setup that had both flywheel ends facing each other with a reduction unit driving a prop shaft, they said it weighed 340 lbs. and could produce 180 horse, SO lets not push it, 150 hp would getter done without much strain:gig:

5. Jul 13, 2007 #5

gahan

gahan

gahan

Oh! I like the idea of swaping vw parts on the covair