• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

VW Oil System Details

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I pulled my engine in September to address an oil leak near the rear seal and on the front left cylinder base. Big Job should do a final stress test on the ground this weekend check the valve clearances and then return to the flight line. In the process I captured some images of the nifty 750+ hour flight proven adapted NX237F's builder Zig Berzins carved out of 6061 alloy. Neat in that is uses a stock VW cooler and integrates a oil filter mount without any hoses. On a 90 degree day my oil runs 190-205f.

I offered for Scott Casler to reverse engineer it and offer to his customers but I have not herd back. He has a 6-7 month backlog so there is no time for new development so I do not blame him.Bypass valve from Chevette I believe.jpg filter did not budge 25 hour oil change.jpg Inside Zigs Filter Oil COoler Adapter.jpg Mind the bugs on the cooler.jpg Oil Change date.jpg On the Bench.jpg CYGNET 237F ready for 3rd ground Stress test .jpg

One day I may remote my cooler and provide a hot oil box like POPs used on his SSSC on the intake. At that time it would be good for someone to make this available to the VW Aviation market. Enjoy the pictures. I have never taken it apart. Please share your system details.

Bypass valve from Chevette I believe.jpg

Back