VW Oil System Details

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by 103, Oct 4, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 4, 2019 #1

I pulled my engine in September to address an oil leak near the rear seal and on the front left cylinder base. Big Job should do a final stress test on the ground this weekend check the valve clearances and then return to the flight line. In the process I captured some images of the nifty 750+ hour flight proven adapted NX237F's builder Zig Berzins carved out of 6061 alloy. Neat in that is uses a stock VW cooler and integrates a oil filter mount without any hoses. On a 90 degree day my oil runs 190-205f.

I offered for Scott Casler to reverse engineer it and offer to his customers but I have not herd back. He has a 6-7 month backlog so there is no time for new development so I do not blame him. Bypass valve from Chevette I believe.jpg filter did not budge 25 hour oil change.jpg Inside Zigs Filter Oil COoler Adapter.jpg Mind the bugs on the cooler.jpg Oil Change date.jpg On the Bench.jpg CYGNET 237F ready for 3rd ground Stress test .jpg

One day I may remote my cooler and provide a hot oil box like POPs used on his SSSC on the intake. At that time it would be good for someone to make this available to the VW Aviation market. Enjoy the pictures. I have never taken it apart. Please share your system details.

Bypass valve from Chevette I believe.jpg

delta, fly2kads, Pops and 1 other person like this.
  2. Oct 6, 2019 #2

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

That's a pretty neat setup. It looks like there is *just* enough room to get the filter started on its threads.

3. Oct 6, 2019 #3

karmarepair

karmarepair

karmarepair

Nice idea! It looks like a commercial remote oil filter head, siamesed to a thicker-than-usual oil cooler adapter.

Commercial filter heads: https://www.jegs.com/p/Derale/Derale-Standard-Series-Remote-Oil-Filter-Mounts/1335930/10002/-1 nothing EXACTLY like your plane, but I think one of the side outlet units could be modified to suit by drilling and tapping the TOP to get access to the cast inlet passage, and plugging the unused hole.

Great Plains Oil cooler adapter https://a6141.americommerce.com/0175-/-stock-oil-cooler-adapter-plate.aspx in the lower left hand corner.

I can't see your oil pump for the baffling, is that hard line running from the filter forward taking cooled, filtered oil back to the main oil gallery, or is that the supply from the pump itself?