• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

VW oil pump and pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pops

I have checked several VW oil pumps and all of them had .0015 clearance between the end of the gears and a straight edge on the front of the pump body. The stock VW oil pump cover gasket is .004, for a total of .0055 clearance between the end of the gears and the cover plate.
On my 1835 VW engine, I made a new gasket from .002 gasket material for a total of .0035 clearance between the end of the gears and the cover plate that raised my hot oil pressure 8-10 lbs. I also used an adjustable cover for the high oil pressure regulator that is on the lower right side in front of the flywheel end of the case. I adjusted for a max of 55 lbs of oil pressure and the excess is diverted to the oil sump. My cruise hot oil pressure is 42 lbs with a max of 55 lbs on a cold oil start-up. Be sure you check your oil pump cover plate for flatness, I bought a oil cover plate with the oil outlet to go to an oil cooler and the cover had all four corners .020 high, Junk.

Dan

Back