VW oil pump and pressure

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by Pops, Apr 14, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 14, 2014 #1

Pops

Pops

Pops

I have checked several VW oil pumps and all of them had .0015 clearance between the end of the gears and a straight edge on the front of the pump body. The stock VW oil pump cover gasket is .004, for a total of .0055 clearance between the end of the gears and the cover plate.
    On my 1835 VW engine, I made a new gasket from .002 gasket material for a total of .0035 clearance between the end of the gears and the cover plate that raised my hot oil pressure 8-10 lbs. I also used an adjustable cover for the high oil pressure regulator that is on the lower right side in front of the flywheel end of the case. I adjusted for a max of 55 lbs of oil pressure and the excess is diverted to the oil sump. My cruise hot oil pressure is 42 lbs with a max of 55 lbs on a cold oil start-up. Be sure you check your oil pump cover plate for flatness, I bought a oil cover plate with the oil outlet to go to an oil cooler and the cover had all four corners .020 high, Junk.

Dan

Autodidact and delta like this.
  2. Apr 16, 2014 #2

delta

delta

delta

I haven't seen the adjustable covers and it's nice to know they're out there. I like 20/50 Valvoline synthetic. Are you using straight weight? I've sanded a bunch of pump plates to get the scratches out using sandpaper on glass. Nice installation you have.

3. Apr 16, 2014 #3

Pops

Pops

Pops

I use straight 30 weight oil . If you would look at the owners manuals for the VW bug for the year that you are using, you will see that VW does recommend a straight weight oil and says to not use the multi weight oils, plus the engine will want to leak oil easier with the multi weight oil.
    I also sanded all the machine marks out of my cover with fine sandpaper on a sheet of glass.

What VW powered aircraft are you flying? Dan

Added-- GP's or any VW hotrod shop sells the adjustable cover, spring and piston.

4. Apr 16, 2014 #4

TFF

TFF

TFF

Good old fashioned blueprinting. New does not mean right.