• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

VW Heads Designed for Aircraft- Poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Value of purpose built VW aircraft heads

• Why bother. Who would try to use '30's auto technology to fly.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It's an interesting idea but what we have now is good enough.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • If they were close in cost AND better I'd probably use them

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • It's been needed for a long time. They will make the VW a far better option.

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • It would be the best thing to happen to EABs in the last 2 decades

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why bother. Who would try to use '30's auto technology to fly.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It's an interesting idea but what we have now is good enough.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • If they were close in cost AND better I'd probably use them

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • It's been needed for a long time. They will make the VW a far better option.

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • It would be the best thing to happen to EABs in the last 2 decades

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Putting this in the Supplier/Manufacturer section because it is kind of an informal market analysis. Been thinking about this for quite a while and it's looking like I may need a project to occupy my time when it's too cold to venture outside.

What I'd kind of like to find out is just how much of a demand there would be for a clean sheet designed air-cooled VW head for aircraft use. These would incorporate dual plugs, ports designed for direct drive RPMs, better cooling of the exhaust valve and overall and a few other features to make them better for aircraft use. These would be A and B heads, or front and rear thus requiring 1 head per cylinder, similar to the SCAT split port head concept.

Any ideas or thoughts, positive, negative, or even extremely outlandish are welcome. No hardware is promised. For now this is just a Vaporware thought project.

Last edited:
Back