• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

VW Counterbalance Help Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhawkflyer

Hey Folks... Need d some help. This may be a stupid question but I don't know what I don't know

I bought a Kolb Mark III kit that is near completion, and it has a Great Plains VW engine with it. I'm was told by the original owner that it's one of the last engines built by Steve Bennett. (That should give you an idea of how long it's been mothballed. Invoice is dated from July 2010.)

The engine was pickled before shipment in 2010 and remains so. Oil filled cylinders, etc. It's never been run other than tests by Steve (if even that?).

My issue is I'd like to fire it up for the first time. I'm not a VW guy, and am new to experimentals, gearboxes, pushers, VW's etc (own/fly a Cherokee) but I am better than average on auto engines.

My question: What can/should I mount on the redrive, other than the prop, to act as a flywheel/counterbalance? Or is this even needed? Not particularly interested in testing the engine with a spinning prop if I can help it. (I sorta like my limbs attached to my body.)

Thanks from SW Missouri!

SPECS below:
Great Planes
2180C Reduction Drive 1.6:1 Series 3
Dual Ignition
Single Weber Carb
Mags & Harness
Electronic Ignition

Back