VW conversion economics

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

whfluhr

The case you want is the Autolinea new Universal magnesium AS41 bubble top case. Its a new casting, perfect for strokers, and is cast filled behind #3 cylinder, no welding. Its also pre-clearanced for an 82mm stroke, and can be opened up just fine to 84 and 86mm They have been out of stock for over a year, but should show up eventually. When they come back you can order them pre machined for whatever cylinders and crank you want from CB Performance.
Is there truly a new Autolinea MAGNESIUM case? The bubble top one I am familiar with is aluminum and weighs somewhere between 17 to 20 pounds more. If truly magnesium then that would address the added weight problem and be a real winner! Feedback please!

Hi all. I’ve not heard or been told of a full magnesium case from Autolinea. But they have recently remade the moulds for the top of the range bubble top/super case.
Hoover oil mods still included, strenghtening around no. 3 etc. clearances for 84mm crank etc..
Im receiving my first batch of these this week into the land of Oz. Their shipping weight is surprisingly less then the last batch, so fingers crossed they have reduced their weight.
I’ll have them this week, so I’ll let you know the new weight.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
Hi all. I’ve not heard or been told of a full magnesium case from Autolinea. But they have recently remade the moulds for the top of the range bubble top/super case.
Hoover oil mods still included, strenghtening around no. 3 etc. clearances for 84mm crank etc..
Im receiving my first batch of these this week into the land of Oz. Their shipping weight is surprisingly less then the last batch, so fingers crossed they have reduced their weight.
I’ll have them this week, so I’ll let you know the new weight.
Great looking forward to learning that weight.
It looks like these price out at about $1200 here in the US, so they aren't just giving them away. It helps to convert all these parts to "number of new O-200 cylinders" to take the sting out of it. Today, that new aluminum case costs 1 Continental Jug Unit (CJU).

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
Aside from the additional weight (approx 17lbs?), what are other negatives to the aluminum Type 1 case for aircraft use?

It appears to conduct heat about 50% better than magnesium and has a slightly lower coefficient of thermal expansion, so those would both be positive things. Plus, less cracking and a bit sturdier bearing saddles to keep things lined up despite the pounding. Still, the extra weight is a considerable negative (if it the same difference as before).

Great looking forward to learning that weight.
It looks like these price out at about $1200 here in the US, so they aren't just giving them away. It helps to convert all these parts to "number of new O-200 cylinders" to take the sting out of it. Today, that new aluminum case costs 1 Continental Jug Unit (CJU).
Agreed on price…Oz dollar is about .60c US, so we get a shock here also. No change from $2000 here for a case normally, but currently zero availability till my stock arrives. Freight is a killer also.

dwalker

Supporting Member
The Empi case is aluminum and AFAIK is not made by Autolinea. The CB "White Rhino" and various "Super Case" cases are either aluminum or magnesium and are made by Autolinea.
The empi cases are no longer showing in stock, and very few of the Autolinea are showing in stock anywhere.