VW 1835?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

volksguy

I picked up a 1835 out of a plane to use in my car, and was wondering what RPM's they run in an plane verses a car? And what cam is used? I see on the great planes site they list a #117 cam is this like a Engle number ?

challenger_II

One consideration, using an aero-converted VW in an auto, is the pulley-end shaft and case configuration. A late (relatively speaking) conversion has a tapered shaft. Will you be able to install the auto fan pulley? The nose of the case may be modified for a different bearing and seal.
Something to look at.

volksguy

Yes it has an original VW crankshaft. I pulled off the prop hub and put on a crankshaft pulley. Engine is running in the car mainly looking for specs and is the RPM range similar?

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Welcome, volksguy! There are a few members here have a lot of hard-earned experience with VW cars. I have had a few over the years, and am currently restoring a 1966 Beetle.

Many of the aircraft VW conversion operate for a few minutes at takeoff at ~3600 RPM, then throttle back to ~3000-3200 RPM for cruising. Some folks (including HBA member Pops) run theirs even lower.

The number you're seeing on the Great Plains site is their part number; that doesn't correspond to a manufacturer's numbering system. There isn't a standard cam for aviation use. The stock cam actually works pretty well for this application, and the others used aren't too far off.

volksguy

Thanks for the information. I assumed some might be interested in VW cars as well. They are an interesting design

johnski43

With reference to the cam!
Back in the 90's, I bought a 1600VW engine converted for aircraft use, including dual ignition which ran off of 2 Lucas mags, chain driven... I was told then that the engine was an "industrial" model and because of this it had a modified cam specially designed for constant running at same (or similar) RPM's. I believe the industrial models were used a lot on rubbish collection trucks for load compaction, along with other uses.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Sawmills. Know a few people over the years with vw powered sawmills. I was told they used the industrial version.

dwalker

VW motors were also used in various generators over the years and had industrial cams etc. meant for them to be run constantly at low RPM.

On another note, if you still have the prop hub adapter and other flight components I would be interested in them, dependent upon condition of course.