Quantcast

Vtol/plane cycle

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Starman

Hi Don, hell yes I'm high, living like a hermit in the high Andes mountain wilderness up here at 7000 ft, the air here is the purest in the world because after it passes over the billions of trees in the Amazon and gets washed y hundreds of thunderstorms it comes here first. ... and the sky is so blue, have a horse ...they say it's like eternal springtime, growing my own green butter, hair's getting darker ...

But enough about me, that cartoon I posted above is an idea I had, and don't worry folks, I'm not some bright eyed kid who insists on building it no matter what and might start crying if criticized. No actually I'm an old asshole with no intention of building it and I don't give a ****. I added the word cycle in the title to make fun of the buffoon, Aircar, but enough about him.

Those new hoverbikes are kind off cool, and I was thinking about how you could make it transition more easily into a flying machine and even have it fly well enough if it lost power. Rotating 90 degrees includes a host of problems that I'm sure most of us are painfully aware of and it seems to me this system, with the props at 45 degrees in flying mode and the wing at 45 degrees in hover mode should make the transition to flying simple and it allows for a seat that accommodates both riding positions. The fans would produce plenty of thrust vector, possibly the wings could be at a little different angle, or be made to pivot some to improve the thrust vector

Just in case anyone wants to bend their brain around something different and think out loud. Have fun.

Last edited:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
There was a full size model of such a machine at KOSH two years ago. Non flying of course but do great minds think alike or what. I took a photo but think it is long gone. Wasn't pretty. Big black monster.

DangerZone

HBA Supporter
There was a full size model of such a machine at KOSH two years ago. Non flying of course but do great minds think alike or what. I took a photo but think it is long gone. Wasn't pretty. Big black monster.
The Hoverbike maybe..?

[video=youtube;bpko3CPHonQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpko3CPHonQ[/video]

There was another similar try, the AMV-211, but it's color was red.
amv_aircraft_4thumb.jpg

AMV-211 VTOL Aircraft | My Desultory Blog

Last edited by a moderator:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA

Found photo but can't get it to display.

Prop shafts pivot between highly reverse stagger biplane wings.

A few years earlier there was another example somewhat more complete than this that was more like your concept in the original post.

Last edited:

Starman

See, the AMV 211 proves that great minds think alike. I looked it up and they put a turbine in it before 2010 and then apparently stopped development. In the cartoon I was envisioning something more lightweight and open, like the 2 fan hover bike with wings added, which is why I used the word cycle in the title. With one fan gearbox facing up and the other facing down on the single power shaft the fans will automatically rotate in opposite directions to cancel torque.

DangerZone

HBA Supporter
See, the AMV 211 proves that great minds think alike. I looked it up and they put a turbine in it before 2010 and then apparently stopped development. In the cartoon I was envisioning something more lightweight and open, like the 2 fan hover bike with wings added, which is why I used the word cycle in the title. With one fan gearbox facing up and the other facing down on the single power shaft the fans will automatically rotate in opposite directions to cancel torque.
They put the turbine because they had something lighter to power the thing and it was underpowered. Underpowered VTOL aircraft cannot fly, it is simple physics. Whatever you envision, it might be wise to double or triple the power you intended to have, just to allow a safe lift off.