• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Vtol design: 1 vs 6 engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leviterande

Hi, everyone

I just became a member and this forum seems to be a wonderful place to talk about homebuilt.:)

I have been planing to make a vtol craft. I know many who has the same aim and I am not saying I am going to be better or the best but my goals are that the craft is going to be simple cheap design, low maintenance, lo cost, medium efficieny although maybe low..

the dielmma is what design is the most appropriate:

Nr1: an engine (rotax 582?) driving a say 87inch prop on the top of a capsule with fixed anti torque stators and vanes. this should eliminate prop torque without the need for complex of a tailrotor or coaxials

Nr2 : 6 small 200cc engines situated around a cockpit in a circular manner, thus we dont need control surfaces or vanes..

these engines could be:
SV-210cc Twin R/C Airplane Engine

both designs have disadvatages but since I lack the experience of building a real size aircraft I cannot be aware of all the troubles.. however I know for example that I need to find a way to make the 6 engines work at around the same rpm..(hard). I have experience though in model vtols

the problem with NR1 is to find an apropriate engine for the craft.. for example : the rotax 582 65hp is around 50kg which is heavy.. the maximum thrust I found was to be 475lbs which is not enough .. so what are your opinions about the two designs

I know there is alot I didnt say but I cant have everything in one post lol

In the end I want to go for the cheapest way

estimated specs:

Empty weight: 120kg
G.Weight : 220kg

regards
Kalle

Attachments

• Vtol idea 1.jpg
    Vtol idea 1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,207
  • vtol nr2.JPG