• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

VSI shows descend in flight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magisterol

Hello. I have a small ultralight and in flight, VSI shows 1700-2000ft/min descend. I took the instruments off, one by one and tested on a vacuum system. ASI has no leaks, in fact is the only one working properly, VSI works normal: increase the vacuum, it climbs, decrease it, it descends. Altimeter has leaks, so it is not good. I blocked the altimeter line and I am using GPS altitude for now. Still in flight, actually once the ASI starts to increase, VSI starts to show descent. Other than buying a new one and retrying, don’t know what else. Don’t understand why the ASI is working normal. I checked it with the gps over the field at low altitude where the wind doesn’t shift or varies much from ground and it shows ok.

Back