Quantcast

VP-2 instrument panel layout ideas

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Which VP-2 instrument panel layout do you prefer?

• Option 1

• Option 2

• Option 3

• Option 4

• Option 5

• None of the above (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Yup, that's a beautiful VP-2, Norwegian, I think. It's featured on the Evansair.com site and mistakenly identified as a VP-1 when there are clearly two seats.

Unfortunately, unless the pilot and passenger are both very svelte, I suspect it's a single-seater in practice as it's got to weigh at least 318 kg/700 lb empty. Max gross on the VP-2 is just 472 kg/1040 lb so that leaves just 154 kg/340 lb for people and fuel.

It's OK to push the gross weight a little on a VP-1 because it's designed to utility category limits, but the VP-2 is utility category as a single-seater and normal category as a two-seater so you don't have much margin to play with.

For comparison, here are some pics of the original prototype VP-2, you can see how basic it is. The challenge is to chip away even more at the VP-2 empty weight (as we discussed here) to make it a little more useful as a two-seater, that means "less is more." That's not easy on a plane that's already pretty much the definition of "spartan."

4590449028_82df97eeb4_o.jpg 4590449016_731691db2b_o.jpg 4589829099_ba4a9e336b_o.jpg

Starflight

Saskatchewan..."GO RIDERS"(pride)where's my banjo?
Sorry, Starflight, but are you building a VP-2 and substituting 3/4" ply for the 1/4" ply-3/4 Douglas fir-1/4" ply sandwich? I think I may have missed something.
I was thinking afterwards that I should have clarified that. The 3/4" Baltic birch ply replaces the core of the bulkheads (too many 'sticks'...too much laminating). Looked for a modern answer to the ever present quest for reduced building time. Apologies for the swerve off-topic :) Oops! corner patches of 1/4 inch ply will get total thickness up to spec for the bushings.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Have you checked the strength of 3/4" birch plywood in compression compared to clear Douglas fir?!? I would not be comfortable making that substitution in the main spar bulkhead that holds the struts that keep the wings from folding up.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Assuming 4 stroke engine, my vote goes for oil pressure, oil temp, and cylinder head temperature near the top where you are always looking at it. Those are your primary "early disaster warning" indicators, where noticing something on those instruments is a top priority. The VP airplane and the type of flying it is for will determine the rest. Airspeed and altimeter needs to be there somewhere nearby, but the engine safety stuff needs to be closest to your line of sight.The capabilities of a $100 tablet computer and a free AvAre app will give you navigation without having to unfold paper charts in an open cockpit.