VP 2 1/2 Volksplane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FritzW

Log Member
An old Volksplane friend of mine (Herb Statz, from Wisconsin) just snail mailed me these pictures. Herb was the first guys to get a copy of the VP-3 plans.

The wing appears to be based on the VP-3 wings but larger, wingspan ~25', and it uses a thicker airfoil like the VP-2. The center section is 8' 6". Herb also used a VP-2 stabilator widened to 8' 6" (max legal width on the highway without an oversize permit).

The rudder is a larger version of a VP-1 rudder (different than a VP-2 rudder I'm guessing)

He's going to make it a nose dragger, using standard VP-2 main gear and his own nose gear design. The only thing I know about that is it's going to use a motorcycle shock and spring.

When Herb decides to build something he doesn't mess around. He plans to have this flying next summer.

Herb hasn't named it yet. I just call it a VP 2 1/2 because it looks like it's halfway between a VP-2 and a VP-3.

VP 2.5 fuselage.jpg VP 2.5 engine.jpg VP 2.5 fuselage 2.jpg

VP 2.5 rudder pedals.jpg VP 2.5 rudder pedals 2.jpg VP 2.5 wing.jpg Go Herb!

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Looks neat. The way you describe it sounds like "that looks about right" engineering. Any more to it than that?

FritzW

Log Member
I'm not sure how he came up with the design. I'm going to email him today and get some more info. I'll try to talk him into joining HBA.

FritzW

Log Member
Herb has offered to send more photos, I'll take him up on his offer. They'll probably come snail mail so it might be a while.

FritzW

Log Member
I haven't heard from Herb in a long time, I hope he's okay. I don't have any new info on the VP-2 1/2.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
An old Volksplane friend of mine (Herb Statz, from Wisconsin) just snail mailed me these pictures. Herb was the first guys to get a copy of the VP-3 plans.

The wing appears to be based on the VP-3 wings but larger, wingspan ~25', and it uses a thicker airfoil like the VP-2. The center section is 8' 6". Herb also used a VP-2 stabilator widened to 8' 6" (max legal width on the highway without an oversize permit).

The rudder is a larger version of a VP-1 rudder (different than a VP-2 rudder I'm guessing)

He's going to make it a nose dragger, using standard VP-2 main gear and his own nose gear design. The only thing I know about that is it's going to use a motorcycle shock and spring.

When Herb decides to build something he doesn't mess around. He plans to have this flying next summer.

Herb hasn't named it yet. I just call it a VP 2 1/2 because it looks like it's halfway between a VP-2 and a VP-3.

View attachment 36452 View attachment 36453 View attachment 36454

View attachment 36455 View attachment 36456 View attachment 36457 Go Herb!
More information about brakes?

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Standard VP practice is to use a single hand lever for both brakes (simpler installation but you give up differential braking) but it looks like this builder went with Hegar heel brake cylinders which is just as easy.