Vortex Generators

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by rbrochey, Feb 8, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 14, 2017 #61

BJC

BJC

BJC

Something not right ....

BJC

2. Mar 14, 2017 #62

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

How come my school counselor didn't tell me there was such thing as a drawing and painting major? I would have graduated college by the 8th grade...

3. Jun 2, 2017 #63

Cygnet Pilot

Cygnet Pilot

Cygnet Pilot

I just bought a very nice Cygnet. Finally got to fly it home after a 2 week delay due to wx and time off. Flew it for the second time today. Though dragger endorsed I hadn't landed one in 3 plus years till 80K. Incredibly nice flying bird and landing is a breeze.
    As far as bailing out...any bird you need to bail out of is going to be in such a radical flight situation odds are you aren't getting out. The fix...ballistic chute for the bird.
    The Cygnet is a very docile airplane with a unique look and sight picture in the cockpit. It also has a vintage feel.
    I traded my beloved Tri Pacer for 80K and cash to me. Though 28D will be missed..I am very proud to own N6580K.

BoKu likes this.
  4. Jun 4, 2017 #64

Cygnet Pilot

Cygnet Pilot

Cygnet Pilot

I just picked up 6580K. Nicely built and flying airplane. Stressed to utility category. I have flown many types of birds and 80K has shot to the top of the list after just 2hrs. An elevator ride type feel on climb out. Outstanding cockpit feel and visability. Landing this dragger is almost too easy. She has electric start...70hp Great Plains power..empty wt is 665 lbs. Gross is listed as 1100. First flight for me was 50 over gross (two notsosmall pilots and 90lbs of fuel) and she still performed very well.
    Cruise easy 90mph and over 100mph was easily seen. Climb over gross was 600fpm and with me alone was over 1000fpm. Fuel consumption was 3.8gph.
    No one can complain about that kind of performance on 70hp.
    In case you haven't guessed...I am a very proud and glad owner.

flyrite and rbrochey like this.
  5. Jun 8, 2017 #65

Cygnet Pilot

Cygnet Pilot

Cygnet Pilot

The wings are canted forward for better cg placement. The cabin width is 39 inches. Same as a Tri Pacer and many others. I am just starting to explore the flight envelope on mine that was built by another in 1991. Basic handling us extremely good and landing this tail dragger is a breeze.
    Even though 6580K is proven I still plan to do a test program on her. I expect nothing dramatic but take nothing for granted.
    By the way...I've banked 80K past 30 degrees. No issue. To the gentleman with the fears of no easy egress worries during a test flight...maybe someone else should do the work up. Few birds are easy to get out of in a bad situation. The sequence of test flying is to test the planes controllability very gradually.
    Otherwise install a brs system for piece of mind and still not use that as an excuse to not be cautious.
    I've tested several homebuilts as well as repaired factory builts. Be comfortable with your skills but be always on the alert untill the envelope has been explored and documented.
    Nuff said.

akwrencher likes this.
  6. Jun 8, 2017 #66

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Thank you so much for your wisdom on this subject. I agree with you completely, and I am going to do just that.

Congratulations on your promotion to the position of Chief Test Pilot of Cygnet N440CH. Now that the basic controllability of the aircraft has been demonstrated, I believe the next step in the Phase 1 flight testing is the G loading, Vne, and flutter envelope expansion.

I'll tell Ferd Kuhn and Bill Schirding to expect your call to set up the test schedule.

7. Jun 10, 2017 #67

Cygnet Pilot

Cygnet Pilot

Cygnet Pilot

Sounds sarcastic. No room for that on a forum. But...seriously...if the bird is brought to me with an ammended test area...I'd be happy too.

8. Jun 10, 2017 #68

Cygnet Pilot

Cygnet Pilot

Cygnet Pilot

By the way...getting to the nitty gritty..g loading is usually designed into the plans after extensive mechanical testing by the designer. There are numerous articles written on how to structural test but it is done before covering. Also..when flutter testing one needs to know how to mitigate the effects should flutter occur. I've done flutter testing...it is not fun to put it mildly when one fully understands the consequences of full blown failure. Again..the best insurance is a properly sized and placed brs.

9. Jun 14, 2019 #69

The story I got from Jerry over dinner a few hours before we transfered ownership was Zigs airplane inspires Jerry to build Tony"s green Cygnet.

Two great men made two great Cygnets.

10. Jun 14, 2019 #70

Pops

Pops

Pops

Attention, Attention. The job opening for test pilot for the JMR Special has just been filled by Mr. Rockiedog. :)
    All others need not to apply.

bmcj likes this.
  11. Jun 14, 2019 #71

Pops

Pops

Pops

Me too, spend most of my time in class drawing airplanes, sailing ships and cars. Seems like I always miss out on the good things.

12. Jun 14, 2019 #72

BJC

BJC

BJC

I heard that he is so good that he can fly off the 40 hours in two afternoons, rain or shine. Then you can bring it to Oshkosh.

BJC

bmcj and akwrencher like this.