• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Volksplane VP-2 Mk2 wing project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FritzW

A while back I got infatuated with the idea of an improved (lighter, cleaner, simpler) VP-2 wing. When the SolidWorks models were finished a VP friend of mine, Bill Fluhr, decided he wanted to build a set for a VP-2 he's restoring. Last week he brought over a bunch of really nice Doug Fir spar blanks and a couple of sheets of ply.

20180919_165357_resized.jpg Bill got the fun job of running the vacuum cleaner while I sat on my butt and kept an eye on the machine.

20180919_171832_resized.jpg We got one spar finished before I trashed the computer (I turned off the main power while it was shutting down). The spar came out great but the computer is smoked. ...I'm waiting for amazon to send me a new hard drive. I don't know what I did but I crashed the dog poop out of it :ermm:

VP-2 Mk2 wing 1.jpg The VP-2 Mk2 wing. Solidworks says they'll weigh about 32 pounds a piece (~20 pounds lighter than PtP wings)

VP-2 Mk2 wing 2.jpg Everything except the rib corner blocks are cut on the CNC machine

VP-2 Mk2 wing 3.jpg Differential ailerons (bellcrank in picture)

VP-2 Mk2 wing 4.jpg Proper A/R ailerons with false spars

VP-2 Mk2 wing 5.jpg Piano hinges instead of eyebolts, no gap seals required

VP-2 Mk2 wing 6.jpg All the little PITA details like strut cutouts on the ribs are pre-cut

If the UPS truck brings my new hard drive today I'll finish the wing 'kit' in the next week or so.

Back