Volksplane VP-2 Mk2 wing project

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Well a list of all "improvements/options" for the VP. would be desirable. If such a list exists. But especially regards improving ailerons, and widening cabin of the VP-2.

What is the opinion of Gurney Flaps for the VP-2, would they be an improvement or detrimental?

Attachments

TFF

Gurney flaps work in that instance if the training edge is too sharp. If the trailing edge is 1/8-1/4” instead of razor sharp, it’s just drag. The original intent was to be able to add or subtract a couple of percent of lift to balance a race car when the rules did not allow suspension adjustments during a race. They are a fix not a standard.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Sadly, Fritz is no longer active in this group. His profile says, "I don't check in to the HBA very often. If you want to get in touch with me please email me at f wagoner (symbol) zia net (period) com." (I added spaces and removed punctuation from his email address to challenge the spambots.)

blane.c

HBA Supporter
While routing a solid Doug Fir or Spruce spar like the picture in post #1 certainly looks super cool, wouldn't it be considering the obtainability of suitable material desirable to make a built up spar with a plywood web, Doug Fir or Spruce caps, and Pine vertical stiffening blocks?

Is it stronger for a spar to have the plywood web orientated so that the exterior grain runs parallel with the span or at a 45* angle? Could the plywood be thinner and lighter if it was at a 45* angle?