• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Volksplane 21 Highwing, Wood, CNC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FritzW

This is a spin off of the 21st. Century Volksplane thread. The idea is to start getting an idea down on (electronic) paper, flesh out some details and see if an airplane like this is feasible.

This would be a VP-21HWC Mk-I (1st pass at a highwing, wood, all CNC cut, super quick build, open source). The goal would be that a guy could (free) download the G Code, get some wood and take everything down to his local CNC shop and have a kit cut out. He could also just buy a kit from anyone who wanted to make them. This would be really handy for guys who have a CNC machine in the garage (there are more and more of them every day).

Ideally, but probably not practically, all the builder would need would be a bottle of glue and some clamps. All the parts would be CNC'd, even the 'sticks'. And any parts that didn't have some sort of tab and slot would be pre-drilled for alignment pins (1/8" Nylon bolts) that hold the parts in position until the glue dries.

HWC.jpg LOTS of stuff still to draw. It's still more of a "build process/method" study at this point.

HWC 2.jpg Some of the ply is set to "transparent" to show the innards

HWC alt rudder2.jpg HWC alt rudder3.jpg Maybe a regular VP-1 or VP-3 rudder, or maybe this one.
*I just realized I hooked up the antiservo tab backwards in this model (SolidWorks Mates), hope I don't do that on the real thing :shock:

1429139787.jpg I made a spar for that rudder just for grins. It was very simple but could be lighter.

...I've got a nice "new and improved" VP-1 stab model somewhere but I can't find it:/

HWC CM.jpg I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but I really like the modular assembly idea. I'm trying to come up with "modules" that could be built on the kitchen table. You wouldn't need a garage until it was time to assemble the modules.

HWC Strut Carry Through.jpg HWC Strut Carry Through EXP.jpg Even the modules are made out of modules :gig:

The process.jpg I made a spar carry through ...just for grins, a looong time ago when I was still trying to build airplanes with a Carvewright machine (small CNC machine that looks like a big planer)

Last edited:
Back