VJ-23 Rigid Wing Hang Glider

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pepper32

Hey Everyone!

Noob aircraft enthusiast, experienced woodworked here. Looking to find more information into the Volmer VJ-23... This seems like the perfect little aircraft to just get started on some hill hops. the dream would be to someday upgrade a build of this to an E-soarer!

Here is maybe the only video I found that documents any amount of the build process:

If anyone knows of where I can find plans, or more details about construction/materials/cost/etc, that would be greatly appreciated!

Best

Victor Bravo

Get in contact with the Experimental Soaring Association. They will be a great resource. One of their members will surely have set of VJ-23 plans. I had a set many years ago, it was a pretty simple structure.If you're an experienced woodworker, have a look at the ULF-1 glider, which can achieve "real" local soaring in thermals, and perhaps very short cross-country (cross-county :) ) flights.

Also, look into the Mitchell Wing, which is another all-wood glider capable ot foot launching,a nd can easily be upgraded to E-soaring or IC-engine self-launch.

proppastie

Log Member
and Carbon Dragon....download plans at the Irish site my signature block. True micro-lift sailplane.

mullacharjak

To achieve true potential of VJ 23 hanger struts need to be extended a little for a seated position.Addition of very lightweight wheel/wheels and an engine pylon on top with a very very light engine.

bwainfan

Complete plans were published in the april 1973 issue of Mechanix Illustrated. The prototype glider is on the cover.

Hey Everyone!

Noob aircraft enthusiast, experienced woodworked here. Looking to find more information into the Volmer VJ-23... This seems like the perfect little aircraft to just get started on some hill hops. the dream would be to someday upgrade a build of this to an E-soarer!

Here is maybe the only video I found that documents any amount of the build process:

If anyone knows of where I can find plans, or more details about construction/materials/cost/etc, that would be greatly appreciated!

Best

lr27

Someone made an enclosed VJ-23 which has been seen at the Wasserkuppe. I think it's in a museum now. I don't know what the performance was or what mods he made,to carry the additional weight of the enclosure.

henryk

Get in contact with the Experimental Soaring Association. They will be a great resource. One of their members will surely have set of VJ-23 plans. I had a set many years ago, it was a pretty simple structure.If you're an experienced woodworker, have a look at the ULF-1 glider, which can achieve "real" local soaring in thermals, and perhaps very short cross-country (cross-county :) ) flights.

Also, look into the Mitchell Wing, which is another all-wood glider capable ot foot launching,a nd can easily be upgraded to E-soaring or IC-engine self-launch.
-yes,indeed !