Vintage looking racer, diesel engine

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Battler Britton

Hello guys,
I jump in the arena... Iam going to try to post some info about my small toy
Please be kind, I am french and not fluent in english. Also, I am not any kind of expert, so this project will be "one off" and I am not here to teach any thing to any body!

Just the pleasure to create and built some thing that fit my dreams (one of..)

this is the opening post, I will post more this week.

Alain

Battler Britton

I think my project could be interresting, but I didn't prepare myself for posting. I have to work on that before
also, I don't took time to take much picture along the building, and I regret, now
and last... I am mooving for a new job next week,( basicaly, rebuilt a Grumman Agcat) leaving my shop, (where I live) near Paris to the south of the country (Montpellier) for 6 or 7 month.
All my project, 2 planes and a few motorcycle will halt for a while.

The main project is a small racer, the other one is a personal design around pou du ciel, flying flea,but 3 axes.

the racer is a single seat low wing fixed classic gear , inline 4 cylinder Citroen diesel engine, 1.4 liter, 54 hp,

DSC_0891.jpg

DSC_0893.jpg

VP prop,

DSC_0911.jpg

, WOOD, glass and carbon ,the wing is similar to the MC100 Bambi/ MCR, but 3/4 SCALE.

DSC_0816.jpg
Because it is a desingn choice... the plane will be ( I can't be sure at that time) between 380 and 400 kgs GW and 680 m/m chord for 6 meter span. So I will be around the 100 Kgs/ m2 numbers. aspect ratio is quite 9

the idea of a small plane is minimum wet area because of low power. The stall speed with sloted flaps and Wortmann/Colomban like profil will be around 100 km/h, witch I can afford .

I am half the way in the building, time will tell me if my desingn goal are good or not

The final look is "vintage" like Percival Mew GULL or Caudron 685
woahthere.jpg Caudron-C-684.jpg

Last edited:

Battler Britton

this plane is far from a microlight. The PSA engine complete is around 110 Kgs, that allow me to stay with the right position of the pilot seat, with head behind the leading edge (680m/M CHORD!) when , or if .. this thing fly, I will go with some engine work, maybe a Rotrex compressor , hoping 75/85 HP range.

I already flew it with a 2 time larger mid wing (without flap) and a 65 HP VW / JPX engine. It was like a cassut, same looking, slightly larger wing (formula V)

507417Alain022009007copie.jpg 151.jpg

the numbers at that time was:
span 5,75 M
chord 1,33
so 7,65 square meter
GW 370 Kgs
top speed 260 Km/h @ 3200 rpm
cruise 210 @ 2800
The take off run was very particular, tricky until I find the thing, it has to stay with the tail wheel firmly on the ground and take off 3 point, like a Bearcat.. Was fun, but the next one is always better

Group Builder