Vintage air racing...newly discovered pics / footage

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

WBNH

Not affiliated in any way with this content....just turned up on the Tube and thought others may find the 1947-48 Cleveland Air Races and Air Show pics and footage as interesting as I did.

I don't know why, but I was surprised to see them using pyrotechnics and mock bomb runs during the air show. I've seen similar at Oshkosh and such, just didn't realize (for some reason) that pyro went that far back in the business.

AND What is that ultralight-looking thing 4:26-4:50? Seems maybe similar to a Breezy, but those didn't come about until '64...so who built whatever that is back in the '40s? (Looks like the great grandfather of the Moyes Dragonfly....)

Have Fun.

Last edited:

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Very cool! Thanks for sharing that find.

I wonder if we can find a list of airshow performers to find out what that ultralight-ish aircraft was.

WBNH

Waco glider.
Ah...I see it now. Familiar with primary gliders, but thought that really looked like it had a pusher engine. Apparently they just covered the king post...giving the engine illusion? And gave it true landing gear. Interesting, nonetheless.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Ah...I see it now. Familiar with primary gliders, but thought that really looked like it had a pusher engine. Apparently they just covered the king post...giving the engine illusion? And gave it true landing gear. Interesting, nonetheless.
Dunno. That looked powered to me, too. May have started as a Waco glider, but this one looks like it's been turned into an airplane to me, too.

TFF

Maybe so. No big screen to watch it. I think there was a powered version testing at one time. I believe no original Wacos exist, reproductions out there, so that one was in the wild flying is still amazing. Wonder where it went.

Del

Maybe so. No big screen to watch it. I think there was a powered version testing at one time. I believe no original Wacos exist, reproductions out there, so that one was in the wild flying is still amazing. Wonder where it went.

TFF

Good to know. I like survivors. All the ones I know have pieces of planes, but were pretty much scratch built.

scramjetter

Was that the newly formed Blue Angels flying their Bearcats at 2:38? Man what a cool video!

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
At 7:17, you can see the Waco land and it clearly has no engine.
Okay, we've gotten our wires crossed. Not the Waco troop glider that you (almost) see landing at 7:17. The very much "ultralight-like" thing you see at 4:27-4:50. Looks very much powered to me, and I have no idea at all what it is.

9:35, is that an F-82 Twin Mustang?
Oh yes. Yes it is. :)

BJC

HBA Supporter
Does anyone know if the Stearman, at about the 6:30 time mark, is Johnny Door’s clipped wing N22D?

Love the video of the P-38.

BJC

Bill-Higdon

Okay, we've gotten our wires crossed. Not the Waco troop glider that you (almost) see landing at 7:17. The very much "ultralight-like" thing you see at 4:27-4:50. Looks very much powered to me, and I have no idea at all what it is.

Oh yes. Yes it is. :)
I wish someone had saved the powered version of the CG-4 the XPG-2 series

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The warbirds in this film are great (what was that, nine B-29s?!) but the midgets are just classic. I would to love see this level of design diversity in today's IF1.

TFF

The B29s and the F82 would have been current inventory, isn’t that crazy that it wasn’t that long ago really. Almost looks like a day at Oshkosh. That F82 I think was relatively famous.