Quantcast

For Sale Viking Dragonfly MKII "Quick Build" - $1,500!!!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pfarber

HBA Supporter
The number of man-hours that you would have invested, in order to build an airframe up to that level of quality and completion, renders the $500 for an A&P inspection essentially microscopic chicken s#[t by comparison.

If you added up the cost of an annual (condition inspection) for the next 20 years, it would still be HALF of what your labor (to build 3/4 of the aircraft up to this stage) is worth. THEN make sure to put a dollar value on being able to fly 2 or 3 years sooner than if you started building a Dragonfly kit today.

I'm sorry to sound so grumpy and stick my nose in your tailcone, and it's not my money I'm spending, but if this is a type of aircraft that you would enjoy owning and flying, then IMHO get off your a$$ and come get this one :)

E/AB that's not flying is not worth even a % of the raw materials. How do I know this? You can't even sell this 'masterpiece' for $1500.

So even after completion, you still have basically the value of the motor and avionics, if its a certified motor with good logs.

Please do try to say that its not true.. you still haven't sold it!! lol

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Some folks have a suspicious attitude towards composites as well. I knew an IA who would not inspect them.

Last edited:

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
If it were closer, I'd have grabbed it a long time ago. The 4,200 mile round trip is a bit too much for me.

FritzW

Log Member
The trick is to find someone with a passion for Dragonfly's who's ready for a project and lives close enough.

I helped a friend haul two "free to a good home" Dragonfly's from Albuquerque back to Las Cruces last summer. One had been flying but had some minor damage, the other was a half finished project.

Not to be a downer, but even in a city the size of Albuquerque the owner couldn't give them away ...and he was throwing in a free 82hp HAPI (which is sitting in my garage;)

pfarber

HBA Supporter
If it were closer, I'd have grabbed it a long time ago. The 4,200 mile round trip is a bit too much for me.
I did a speed run from East Coast to West Coast to pick up my BD-4B. Hauled it back on a 8x12 trailer. Cost me $400 in gas. Took 4 days. Yes, 4 days.

But the issue with the Dragonfly is the wings... my BD-4B's wings come off in 30 minutes.

For $1500 I would buy it just as a back burner project... but the wings don't come off so shipping is the issue.

pfarber

HBA Supporter
There are 4 bolts that hold each wing on.
I did read an early post on wing removal. If the access panels are there it appears to be something doable.

I'm luke warm about making an offer.. mainly because for me, it would basically be a single seater because I an not the typical FAA pilot w/r/t height or weight aka I'm a fat tub of lard.

Staggermania

HBA Supporter
This is from a different thread, but might be useful. Don't know if he could dissasemble.

"Had a guy with a 28 foot enclosed trailer haul it. He hauled it from southern California to the middle of Nebraska for 2100 $ He is looking to do more of this kind of work . I know there are a lot of times a project would have gotten purchased but the cost to move is to high. I asked him if he minded if I posted his number for others and he said he was ok with it . He you go . 803-215-3022"

Lancair2cloud9

is the Dragonfly project still for sale or sold?
I am interested
Ritz

It's time I put some real effort in to selling my Dragonfly project. I purchased this aircraft a couple years ago with the intent to finish it after I completed my Sonex. After a move to San Diego, and some changes to my hangar situation, I just do not have time to work on this project. All major layups have been completed by a true craftsman. The fiberglass work is fantastic. Gear, canopy, fuel tanks, control surfaces all complete. Just add controls, avionics, FWF, and paint. Includes the original instruction manual and all templates. Complete book of receipts for everything purchased so far. The hard work has been done, all that remains is the finish work and customizing your airplane with the avionics and engine of your choosing. Right now the airplane is hangared at Gillespie FIeld, KSEE near San Diego, CA. The wings are on a wing stand and the fuselage is on a rolling dolly so transportation is pretty easy. Message me and I will send my email address and phone number. This is the perfect winter project! First one with $1,500 and a trailer takes it home!

View attachment 89458 View attachment 89459 View attachment 89460 View attachment 89461 View attachment 89462

Lancair2cloud9

Hello all,
I recently purchased a Quickie Kit,
I built one many years ago, decided to find another
and do it again in my retirement years.
I am looking for a recommendation for fair priced transport
California to New York State
anyone to recommend ? Anyone travelling West to east ?
thank you

Attachments

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
If it is a kit, and can still be crated, I recommend Uship (U-ship, You-ship, whatever the correct spelling is) for this (I do not mean U-Haul, I mean U-ship, an online bidding/contracting marketplace for shipping). It will be the only low price option, because you will find someone who is already making the trip across the country and has room for one more crate or parcel.